Pregnat with neighbors dog

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

oregonbeagles

Pregnat with neighbors dog

Post by oregonbeagles »

Well, I'm pretty sure our female got pregnat with a neighbors yellow lab. She got loose while she was in heat (bleeding). It's been about 3-4 weeks and she's looking a bit wider in the abdomen and her nipples are getting a little bigger.

Do you think that it will be dangerous for her to give birth to the pups? Do you think that we should look into aborting them? Any tips would be greatly appriciated. :oops:

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

I think you should contact a vet as soon as possible and see which option is best for you.

huntinfool

Post by huntinfool »

Get her to a vet!!!!! I thought I was going to have the same problem. Fortunately, it appears I am safe, it's been 5 or 6 weeks and she's not getting big. I took mine to the vet when I thought she might be pregnant, and he told me that the best option was spaying if she was, and the next best option was to let her have them. Your vet may suggest something else, but irregardless you need to pay him a visit, if nothing else to have him aware that the bitch is pregnant and have him available should a C-section be neccessary.

Windkist

Re: Pregnat with neighbors dog

Post by Windkist »

oregonbeagles wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure our female got pregnat with a neighbors yellow lab. She got loose while she was in heat (bleeding). It's been about 3-4 weeks and she's looking a bit wider in the abdomen and her nipples are getting a little bigger.

Do you think that it will be dangerous for her to give birth to the pups? Do you think that we should look into aborting them? Any tips would be greatly appriciated. :oops:
In general most bitches bodies will not allow the whelps to become too big to give birth to. If she is pregnant the only way to abort the litter at this time would be spaying. I would personally allow her to whelp them if she is a valuable bitch. If not then spay her. Watch closely for signs that she is having trouble and go for a C-section if necessary. If she is not needed for breeding you need to get her spayed.

Leah