gain weight

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DEW/MAN

gain weight

Post by DEW/MAN »

Anyone have any suggestions on how to put some weight on a beagle, I cant seem to get any weight on him. Any suggestions on what to add to his feed or anything. thanks

green river

Re: gain weight

Post by green river »

What are you feeding him now? How much are you feeding? How much are you running the dog?

DEW/MAN

Post by DEW/MAN »

I am feeding Pride 26/18. Double the feed, running around 3-4 times a week.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

A good worming and a warmer dogbox.
I put weight on one of my bitches by worming her(didn't see any worms) and letting her sleep in the feed room. It's warmer in the feed room and i figured she didn't have to expend the energy to stay warm during the night sleeping in there. I also found 2 males keeping the third male out of the box at night. If you bunk 2 or more together, make sure they get along in the sleeping quarters... ;)
ps...I think my wife was sneaking some table scraps out there also... ;) ...some hounds are easy keepers and others need some extra to help them along.

DEW/MAN

Post by DEW/MAN »

what is a good wormer you all use. I thought of maybe using ivormec, but would just rather use a good wormer instead. Which do you all think would work the best.

green river

Post by green river »

I like ivomec for heartworms and prazivet plus for everything else.

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

I read an article on weight and wintertime nutrition. It recommended 2 feedings a day and increasing protein in the winter. I feed the same dog food you do but I've added homecooked chicken and rice to supplement the evening feeding on a female we're putting weight on. Also added 1 tbl. spoon of cod liver oil. Good luck with your dog. :D

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

if i have trouble lard on there food does good i havent had any troubles with this
but first use a good wormer
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

DEW/MAN

Post by DEW/MAN »

Thanks for all the information, been helpful.