Bloody Stool

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hills Beagles

Bloody Stool

Post by Hills Beagles »

What could be the cause of a young dog having a mucous type of blood in her stool. I worm my dogs with Ivomec and I wormed her in January. I haven't seen any signs of worms. She is kennel'd with another female who is perfectly healthy. I have an appointment at the vet tommorow but if it is something I could cure I could always use some extra trial money. Any advise would be appreciated.

Emery

Post by Emery »

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head with blood in the stool is parvo. You said it was a young dog, how old? How is it otherwise? Seem depressed and not getting around much? I hope it isn't parvo... Keep us posted.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

cris axtell/coal hill ken

stool

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

i had this happen.it was bacterial.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

That's also a sign of cocidia (sp), bloody diarrhea, and this usually affects younger dogs, though I have seen it in older ones also. A stool sample will verify this. Normal wormers will not take care of this. It's a parasite, protozoan, that lives in the intestines of the affected dogs. You will also want to treat any other dogs kenneled with this dog.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

Hills Beagles

Bloody Stool

Post by Hills Beagles »

Went to the vet today and he diagnosed her with hookworms. Seems the Ivomec wasnt getting them. He wormed her with Strongid and gave her a vitamin and antibiotic shot. Well thanks for the input.