Puppy vaccines

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ladean2185

Puppy vaccines

Post by ladean2185 »

I got my little boy a 8 week old pup and was wondering when I need to give her more vaccines. She is up to date on everything as of right now. Thanks for any help I'm new to the puppy world

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Puppy vaccines

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

At 8 weeks I'd assume that she had her first shot at 6 weeks.I would give another at 9 weeks,12 weeks,16 weeks and then a booster at a year old. Rabies shot around 4-6 months old.
Keep her wormed too.
Enjoy !
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Do it yourself and save a lot of money.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Vaccines are easy to do yourself...and it saves money. We do our own vaccines at OKIE DOG for our kennel. The only one we pay the vet for is the rabies so we get the rabies tag in the event of a situation. Every state is different. Some states permit you to give your own rabies vaccine.

Pups should be vaccinated (according to my vet) 10 days after they are weaned. This allows the mother's antibodies to fall and not override the vaccine. But there's still enough that the puppy has some protection til the vaccine kicks in.

Vaccines with Lepto should be avoided until the puppy is at least 14-16 weeks old as Lepto (particularly the strands being used now) can be harsh on developing kidneys.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I've had (2) different occasions where pups have had a reaction to the Lepto shot. It happens fast, within 5 minutes or less and if it does you better get them to the vet pronto. Vet was able to save both but it was expensive both times. Now I take them to a vet for their first and 2nd Lepto shot so if there is a reaction it happens in their office. After that I give the shot myself annually. I also use well known name brand manufacturers for all my vaccines. I don't use the cheaper stuff you can by at feed stores.