ivamec

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chris1212

ivamec

Post by chris1212 »

how much do you give a beagle? what kind do you buy? how you give it to the dog? how often do you give it to the dogs? thanks for all info

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

i buy the cattle ivomec (1% solution). once a month i give each dog a 1/4cc. i squirt it on a piece of bread and add to dogfood. i do this for heartworm preventative on all dogs over 3 months old from march to november here in IL.

Re: ivamec

Post by Guest »

chris1212 wrote:how much do you give a beagle? what kind do you buy? how you give it to the dog? how often do you give it to the dogs? thanks for all info

dogvmd

Ivermectin

Post by dogvmd »

Since the cattle form has propylene glycol as its vehicle it can be used for dilution. The dose for the prevention of heartworm is 3 micrograms per pound of body weight. There are 1 thousand micrograms in 1 gram. Propylene glycol is carried by stores such as Southern States since it is used to treat ketosis in cattle. Using it as a diluent you can give the proper doseage. Most beaglers that give injections instead of oral administration are overdosing. It works by paralysis of the parasite and works on body wt. of the parasite, int. worms need larger doses.

mmccluskey

Post by mmccluskey »

You folks certainly seem to have a much greater knowledge on this than the average person (me).

Just a quick word for those reading this that aren't "experts"...

We recently got a dog that was heartworm posative and learned a lot. If you are starting a dog on heartworm treatment...SEE A VET FIRST! Beginning a dog on preventative medicine if it is heartworm posative may kill the dog. See a vet and have them tested first.

Thanks for the moment on the soap box. ;)

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I don't think anyone here mentioned this in their responses...give it once monthly. I always set it at the first of the month since it's easiest to remember.

frank

how do i mix it

Post by frank »

what do i mix with it and how do i mix it