Tail won't wag

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rayman

Tail won't wag

Post by rayman »

I came home from running my dog and i noticed his tail quit wagging and when i try to touch it he jumps.Has any one ever encountered this before.His tail is very thick he's not a bleeder.Could it be broke?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Many times they will bruise the tail without actually breaking it (whack it real good going under a fence, etc.) Sometimes it can be an inflammation around the vertebrae, especially at the base of the tail. They won't wag or lift the tail very high when this happens. Rest and anti-inflammatories are generally the order for recovery. If your hound starts coming down in the hips, a spinal injury farther up is suspected. Either way, a vet visit would be a good idea.

rayman

Post by rayman »

Thanks for the imformation Bev I never saw this happen before but everything seems to be back to normal after two days .It was probably just bruised like you said. Thanks again for the Imfo.