Doc S question on worming

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Schag

Doc S question on worming

Post by Schag »

Doc S,

I use Ivomec monthly to prevent heartworms. What other worms does Ivomec kill? I know it does not kill tapeworms. I use the cattle Ivomec and administer orally.

After hunting season I worm the dogs for tapeworms. My question is when you worm the dogs, my hounds are on concrete, are the worms dead when they come out? I have often thought that they may be able to get worms again by kenneling. Walking through the worms that just came out etc.. I try my best to clean as soon as I see, but I can't be home all of the time. Thanks for any information.

Jason Schag

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Jason, I'm obviously not Doc, but he is mid-move right now. Ivermectin does not get tapes or whips. I believe it will get round and hook worms. Whips are especially nasty if your hound gets them, so you'll want to do an additional broad spectrum worming periodically.

quacker

Post by quacker »

Jason I was told by the vet that a dog cant get reinfected by just being in contact with the poop. The worm had to have another host. I had a bout with tapes and was worried about a pup in the same kennel because it liked to eat poop. I know discusting. So I wormed them all but aparently I didnt have to.