Feeding venison

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

show dog

Post by show dog »

I have been feeding RAW chicken backs or cages to my dogs for well over a year, almost two years. They are healthier than ever. They were in a study from U of Guelph for infections and tested clear every two months, stool and nasal swab, for the year. I would NEVER feed COOKED bones of any kind. They become brittle and do perforate intestines. My chicken was tested and did contain salmonella sometimes. My pond water where the dogs drink contains e coli. The dog's system is designed to handle this problem. I can't speak to breeding bitches but source of salmonella may have been kennel contamination as much as the food. I feed chicken purchased through the human butcher so it is human quality. The chicken used in dog food tends to be not fit for human consumption. I also feed raw fish with bones, beef heart and lungs (ground raw) and a variety of other raw meats. Fresh is best, kibble is just too processed and many of the proteins necessary are destroyed by the intensive heating process. Dogs never cooked over the years they developed and we seem to have a lot of dogs around. Says something for nature. Carolyn

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

Carolyn has it right on the money. I fed basically a raw feed diet for about 12 years on every dog I owned, there were no healthier dogs around, simple as that. Any animal that can hunch up, take a big steamy dump then turn around and slurp it back.......wont have a problem with deer meat or chicken backs :lol: :lol: Its the commercial feeds that screw up a dogs digestive tracts as well as their immune system among other things.
It's not that life is short......it's just that we're dead for such a long, long time...

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

I had a Vet tell me to give a sick dog deer meat, after he treated him for an infection, and he stated that it would raise his cell count. He advised me to brown it in a skillet, and add rice. Worked good!!!!!!! The Dog had a whole new appetite! I plan on taking TC's advise on feeding my two females who are fixing on dropping some pups soon, and I think one is carrying double digit pups, so shes gonna need all the milk she can get!
The meat is almost too rich on their stomachs without cuttin it with rice? I've tried several ways, and the best has been to cook it with rice and then mix dry dog food in with it! Moore Beagles
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best