strongid paste for horses

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tommyg

strongid paste for horses

Post by tommyg »

Can anybody give me the dosage for dogs? Thanks Tom
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

allniter

Post by allniter »

TOMMY --go on the UKC board there is a VET --DR. ALLEN --gives a break down of dosage
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Which thread?

allniter

Post by allniter »

I don't know how to transfer the thread--it is under WORMER
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Highlight the address box at top and copy it and then paste it to the post.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Tommy, I don't have any Strongid here, but you can figure it out for yourself. The active ingredient is either pyrantel pamoate or pyrantel tartrate which is the same as in Nemex 2. But, it may be a different concentration. I think Nemex is about 4 or 5 % and strongid is more like 18 % so you would only use about 1/3 as much as you would Nemex. The dosage for Nemex is on the bottle, 1 cc for every 2 pounds of body weight.

I like the Nemex for pups because they like the taste of it and I feel they are less likely to puke it back up than the horse wormer. They do that and you lose your pups to hookworm thinking you have solved that problem. To me it's not worth the little bit of money you save.

53pigeon

horse wormer

Post by 53pigeon »

I have used strongid for 10 -12 years. I was told when I started 1 inch the way it comes from the tube is good for 30 pounds. and completely safe at 100 times the recommended dosage. I always give my pups about a 1/2 inch at 3 weeks then every 2 weeks. I use it about every third worming for my grown dogs and give them about 2 inches inside a piece of lunch meat, I have never seen a doge puke this wormer.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

I bought a couple of pups that the man said had been wormed twice with the strongid. They were just eat slap up with hookworm. I used to use an injectable called DNP to prevent the throw up problem, but since nemex 2 came out that's all I use now for pups.

JD Baisden

Post by JD Baisden »

you can take a new tube of strongid and mix it with 125cc of steril water. this will give you the same thing as nemex 2 but for alot cheaper.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Right, JD... I did a little checking and the Nemex 2 is 4.54 mg. of pyrantel pamoate per ml, while the Strongid T is 180 mg. of pyrantel pamoate per ml so you would need to use a heck of a lot less or cut it like you said to the strength of nemex 2.

Disclaimer! I in no way advocate using veterinary products for unlabeled use.

A 20 cc tube will give you 20 x 180 mg/ml = 3600 mg PP

3600 mg PP x 1 ml/4.54 mgPP = 793 ml suspension

793 - 20 cc for the paste = 773 ml of water you would add to cut to the strength of Nemex 2.

As you can see it wouldn't be hard to OD your pups using the horse wormer.

Here's a link to more info.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=52

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

I buy strongid from the vet in a pint bottle. It is a liquid formulation (50 ml of strongid per 1 cc (ml). The vet's recommended dosage is 1 cc/10lbs. body weight. The pint bottle cost me $45.00

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

dannycrlsn wrote:I buy strongid from the vet in a pint bottle. It is a liquid formulation (50 ml of strongid per 1 cc (ml). The vet's recommended dosage is 1 cc/10lbs. body weight. The pint bottle cost me $45.00
Danny if you meant 50 mg of strongid per cc that is about 10 times stronger than nemex 2 (4.54 mg per cc) and a good buy compared to what Nemex 2 costs. Safeguard has gone up quite a bit and I would like to find a cheaper way. I use the 125 ml goat wormer liquid and it is now close to $20 a bottle.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Larry G

Try the Equimax. horse wormer.

It's much cheaper here and also works for a heart worm treatment during mosquito season too.

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

Larry G: The product I use is called EQUI-PHAR PROTAL. It says that it is an EQUINE ANTHELMINTIC SUSPENSION. The active ingredient is "50mg of pyrantel base as pyrantal pamote per ml". My Vet sells me a pint bottle for $45.00. My wife uses the same product for her house cats but the dosage is 1 cc/ 5lbs while the dosage for my hounds is 1 cc/10 lbs.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Thanks fellers for the info. I use Ivomec on all my hounds every month,just looking for something to get the tapes.