coccidiosis

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

MasonsBeagles

coccidiosis

Post by MasonsBeagles »

are there any home remedies for this? Or meds you can buy at the farm stores? just curious had some friends that were talking and Albon was one of the only treatments that we could come up with.

Will
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

gus

Post by gus »

There is Corid powder that you can mix with water. I mix 1/2 teaspoon to one gallon of water. I start giving this to the bitch about a week prior to whelping. Then I give it to the pups until they are about twelve weeks. I had a problem with coccidia, couldn't find albon except at the Vet. Started using Corid and haven't had a problem since.

It's about $12.00 for a one pound bag at CoOp or TSC.

Sulmet is another product you get from a feed store and add to their water.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

gus wrote:There is Corid powder that you can mix with water. I mix 1/2 teaspoon to one gallon of water. I start giving this to the bitch about a week prior to whelping. Then I give it to the pups until they are about twelve weeks. I had a problem with coccidia, couldn't find albon except at the Vet. Started using Corid and haven't had a problem since.

It's about $12.00 for a one pound bag at CoOp or TSC.

Sulmet is another product you get from a feed store and add to their water.
Gus,

Can you tell us more about Corid and how its dosed? I did find this good bit of info on the internet.

http://www.jofor.homestead.com/Coccidia_Article.pdf

I have only treated with Albon but, the Corid sounds better.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

I have a stupid question ... How long does treatment for coccidiosis take? A few days, a week?

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Beagled1 wrote:I have a stupid question ... How long does treatment for coccidiosis take? A few days, a week?

Vets will prescribe it for 7-10 days but, thats not enough. Coccidia has a 21 day cycle. I dose for 21 days.

Beagled1 read the article I posted a few posts back.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

CAINCUTTER

Post by CAINCUTTER »

I have used the Corid powder on some pups. What I got from the feed store was Corid (amprolium) 20 % Soluble Powder Coccidiostat. It was a 10 oz package and I think it only cost around $15. I mixed 3 0z of the powder in 1 qt of water. I used a syringe and gave the pups1/10 cc per lb of body wt once a day for 10 days.

I had a pup that I had traded for that had coccidious... I isolated him away from my other pups... I gave him the corid and I also gave it to the other pups as a precaution.

I have heard that the Albon helps to slow down the coccidiosis giving the hounds own imune system a chance to fight off the parisite. I have been told that Corid attacts the coccidia and kills it off... Who knows???
Last edited by CAINCUTTER on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAINCUTTER: Rabbit Hunter Ex-Straw-D-Nair
Saucier Ms. Home Of Some Of The South's Finest Lemon and White and Red and White Beagles.
http://www.geocities.com/pawpawskennels/

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Windkist wrote:
Beagled1 wrote:I have a stupid question ... How long does treatment for coccidiosis take? A few days, a week?

Vets will prescribe it for 7-10 days but, thats not enough. Coccidia has a 21 day cycle. I dose for 21 days.

Beagled1 read the article I posted a few posts back.

Leah

Leah, thank you very much!

I suspected treatment was longer than a few days as was recently told to me by a breeder whom I bought a pup from recently. Very interesting ...

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

corrid is the best treatment. Getting corid in the powder pack may be a little harder. Any corrid powder (according to my supplier) is a rare commodity. All they are going to be making now is the liquid. Right now it is available in gallons, but it runs about $72 a bottle, and the bottle does ALOT!
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I have not been able to find Corid powder for over a year now and I am out. Like the previous post said, all I find is liquid and really do not want a gallon as the liquid does not keep as well as the powder did. The powder was easy to administer by sprinkling it on the dogs food. How was the cocidiosis diagnosed? Some folks blame any stomach upset on it and others treat for worms when it is cocidiosis or giardia - very often misdiagnosed in my opinion.

RABBITBUTCHER

COCCIDIOSIS

Post by RABBITBUTCHER »

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN THEY HAVE COCCIDIOSIS?

MasonsBeagles

g

Post by MasonsBeagles »

http://www.corid.com That is real interesting to learn about the medication. I am going to see if I can find it at the feed stores.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

53pigeon

corrid

Post by 53pigeon »

I have used corrid for years it is a great aid for pigeons. Buy it at TSC in the powder they still have it. I know alot of farms who are goin to be p---- if the government has once again took somthing reasonably priced and effective of the market.. I see no other reason for it not to be available, I've used it for years..

cajunmeadows2

Post by cajunmeadows2 »

Sulmet , you can get it at most any feed store. They have to be strong enough to drink it. I use 1oz. to 1 gal. of water it really works well.
Chad

jdmart

Post by jdmart »

Will,

I had a couple of older pups (8 weeks) that I thought had it. I bought Tylan at Southern States. $9 a bottle. I don't really think it will work in severe case for pups but in milder cases it does well. Just put 1/4 cc in a gallon of water. It is even a anitbiotic for older dogs. From what I have read olders dogs get this more than we think. It is just not life threatning. We probably think they ate too much grass while running or some other bug.

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Go to a pet store that sells fish & get some FishZole 250 mg pills, a week of giving this pill will cure it, you will notice a difference in about 3 days in the stool & they will start to put on weight. I had a litter about 3 years ago that had it, turned out the mother was a carrier. Most dogs are strong enough it won't effect them but pups will have trouble with it, some worse than others.
After I got shed of her, never had it again. Vet explained her immune system would fight it down but not kill it so it would come & go. I didn't want that set of genes around as I was afraid it would carry on.

Plowboy