Skinny dog

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagle crazy

Skinny dog

Post by beagle crazy »

I have a 1 1/2 old male that is skinny. I mean really skinny. He has been wormed for everything and is fed well, but he just doesn't gain weight. He doesn't act sick or anything, stools are OK, still hunts hard and doesn't give up but he looks mistreated cause he's so thin. Any ideas what I can do?

bennetdr

Post by bennetdr »

What kind of feed are you feeding?
Dennis Bennett
Buckeye Run Kennels and Supply
Home Of
LP RCH BCH Buckeye Run Queen of Diamond (Queenie)
LP BCH Eagleton's Murl Black Bear RIP

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

Purina Hi-Pro mainly. Sometimes have to feed Purina Dog Chow due to availability. After running, he gets an egg with his food.

Jane

Post by Jane »

I have a hound that's almost a year old and her body shape is like a whippet. Built for speed... and she looks like she is starving to death. It tried almost everything to get fat on her and no luck. She is even fed twice a day, it's just the way her metabolism is. She's about 14 inches now and a fantastic hunter so I will just have to live with it.

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

You can see most of his ribs, some of his spine and parts of his hip joints. He looks really bad, but doesn't seem to be sick at all. The other dogs are all fine. I just don't understand it.

green river

Post by green river »

I have a gyp the same way. I feed her almost double what I give the other dogs and she can't seem to keep the weight on. I changed her feed over to Pro Pac and that seems to be helping out a little. Maybe you might consider leaving Purina and try something else

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

:shock: Leave Purina??? I have a dozen hounds to feed and only have one that's skinny. Purina works well overall-I have had no problems at all. I have switched before with bad results or just before a major recall, so I really am skeptical about switching. And I like the ProPlan points :lol:

green river

Post by green river »

beagle crazy wrote::shock: Leave Purina??? I have a dozen hounds to feed and only have one that's skinny. Purina works well overall-I have had no problems at all. I have switched before with bad results or just before a major recall, so I really am skeptical about switching. And I like the ProPlan points :lol:

I know Purina is a good food. Just a thought. Don't want to upset anyone. Some dogs just need something a little different. Just like all rifles don't like the same kind of bullets.

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

I see your point. I reload my own ammunition, but I just don't see me making my own dog food :shock: :lol:

TC

Post by TC »

Well hate to tell ya this BUT it could be the FEED....
We have one here the Same way just couldnt get weight on him And switched just HIS feed until We found one thatt Worked I know its a PITA BUT sometomes ya gotta Do Whats best For the hound... Come to Find out He Wasnt Digesting the Grains...We swaped him Over to a LAMB and RICE formula and WALLA Guess What Gained weight Looked Great Coat nice and Shiny Ect.... After 2 years of that we were able to Slowly Switch him Over to reg Feed and he is Doing well....
Also a vet trip just might be in order!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

beagle crazy wrote::shock: Leave Purina??? I have a dozen hounds to feed and only have one that's skinny. Purina works well overall-I have had no problems at all. I have switched before with bad results or just before a major recall, so I really am skeptical about switching. And I like the ProPlan points :lol:

What about trying a different formula of Purina? Maybe give the Pro Plan a try, since it's higher in meat based protein than the HiPro. I like to keep mine lean, so that I can feel all the ribs but when I start seeing ribs and hip bones, that's not so good :(

If a feed change/upgrade doesn't help at all, you might want to get him checked for kidney problems.

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

He has always been a skinny dog and the vet didn't seem concerned when he was there just a few months ago. I think a feed change is coming his way. Thanks for all your advice!

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I would change food. Use a higher fat (performance) type food. Also, mac n' cheese is high in calories and dogs love it! A lot of people with picky eaters use it to plump them up. Add extra fat as well. Even though the dog is lean which usually is good when winter comes they are burning a lot of fuel keeping warm so, extra calories are the way to go. Double his ration and buy some cheap mac n' cheese and offer it to him once a day. You can make a box and keep it in the fridge for several days.. dogs don't care if its cold ;-)

Just some thoughts.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Bunny Runner

Post by Bunny Runner »

Well, I know it's been a WHILE since I posted, but extenuating circumstances kept me away.

Here's my take:

Some dogs have issue with digesting nutrients and need a little extra help. Their pancreas doesn't work as well as some dogs and they are lacking the digestive enzymes that the pancreas manufactures OR the food is moving so quickly through the intestines that the nutrients aren't being absorbed sufficiently.

There are a few things you can do in both of these case.

1. Add digestive enzymes to the food. There are MANY on the market that you can purchase and sprinkle on the food.
2. Add plain yogurt with active live cultures OR use a quality pro-biotic purchased from a health food store or online.
3. Add some pumpkin to the food (or other higher fiber food) to slow down the journey through the intestines.
4. More carbs (ie: as windkist said, pasta) because dogs don't utilize carbs as much for extended energy and store many of those calories as fat if fed at the end of the day when exercise is not going to take place right away.
5. Use the "satin balls" recipie. This is a great way to put some extra weight on dogs that seem to be lacking.

My best guess would be a pancreatic defficency first and motility throught the digestive tract.
Education, Preservation, and Conservation ensures a "WILD" future for our children!

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

Bunny Runner wrote: 5. Use the "satin balls" recipie. This is a great way to put some extra weight on dogs that seem to be lacking.
Thanks for the great advice! I'm afraid I don't know what the "satin balls" recipe is :oops: Could you enlighten me?