Getting rid of Mites???

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ironjawdawgs

Getting rid of Mites???

Post by ironjawdawgs »

What can I use to get rid of mites other then a 1 oz bottle that cost $30? Any advise will be appr.
Thanks Elliott

Rneil

Re: Getting rid of Mites???

Post by Rneil »

Vinegar and water 50/50
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Rneil wrote:Vinegar and water 50/50
Can I do this with a 6 month old pup? Can I use 7 dust or Ivamec? Will the vinegar burn the pups skin any? Also what can I do to help grow back hair? Thanks
Elliott

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

I have used this one time and it did not burn the skin and the hair will come back. Try a 60/40 first to see.
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

mtneerbp

Post by mtneerbp »

crude oil or used motor oil it works rub in real good we had a yard dog onr time we dipped him in the crude oil
BOB POST
MTNEER KENNELS
NORTH CENTRAL WV

BY HIS BLOOD I AM FORGIVEN

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

My vet used Revolution, the stuff for fleas and ticks. Just put it on like you would for fleas (between the shoulders) so that the dog can't lick it. Frontline or some of the other brands might work

mtneerbp

Post by mtneerbp »

I am sorry we used the oil on mange I read wrong for mites I would use ivomec and for ear mites on another site a guy told me to use wd40 i thought he was crazy but my wifes yorkie was getting them all the time and the medicine we got from the vet only gave her about 4 days of relief and then she was tearing up her ears again so we used the wd40 it works havent had any problems now for about three weeks and her ears dont smell bad like they were before
BOB POST
MTNEER KENNELS
NORTH CENTRAL WV

BY HIS BLOOD I AM FORGIVEN

TC

Post by TC »

EAR Mites = WD40 Small amount in the cap use syringe or Dribble into the ear Rub around real good Wipe down..
For SKIN Mites(mange) Nu-Stock (BEST BET) or Selsadine Blue Dandruff Shampoo or Some made for Extreme Dandruff Control sulphadene with the Sulpher in it...
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

TC wrote:EAR Mites = WD40 Small amount in the cap use syringe or Dribble into the ear Rub around real good Wipe down..
For SKIN Mites(mange) Nu-Stock (BEST BET) or Selsadine Blue Dandruff Shampoo or Some made for Extreme Dandruff Control sulphadene with the Sulpher in it...
TC,
It seems to me that you know what you are talking about with skin mites and you may have exp. with this. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me your number so I can give you a call? Thanks Elliott

paducahky1

Post by paducahky1 »

20 mule team borax, peroxide, and water, mix in a bucket half full of water, 8 or 16 oz bottle of peroxide and borax abot a 1/4 of a cup, soak dog and let dry , 3-4 days it worked for me , pour whats left in and around his kennel space
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

TC

Post by TC »

Well We aint never had a lot of problems With Skin Mites but have known of folks who have LOL
my Dad used to have Coon Dogs so i learned a little there also.. some of those Show Folks now they seem to know a lot about different Cures and such. we just go with what has Worked for us and for friends over the years Your Welcome to Give me a Call I sent you my number in the Eve is best....

Hillbilly Willie

Post by Hillbilly Willie »

Try to find out which mites you have. If you have Demodectic mites they are hard to control. I had a dog that was almost hairless before I found out the secret. Beagles unlimited.net has a good article on these mites and many other things.
If you want to get rid of the Demodectic mites, A lady vet. told me to use Ivormec. My dog was about 6mos and 15lbs at the time, she had ear mites that I had treated with everything, and was diagnosed with demodectics. .5cc of ivormec mixed with somethine sweet like gatoraid, or mountain dew, in a 3cc syringe and shoot in the roof of her mouth. You do this with 2 syringes, one to draw the ivormec out and dribble into another with no needle, then draw up the mountain dew. Do this every day for 5 days, wait about 2 weeks and see if she has hair growing back and the itching has stopped. You may need to do it again if they are not under control.
You can also use the ivormec as a heartworm preventative the same way except you only need 1/10th of 1cc for each 10 lb of beagle weight. In the long run this is a very cheep and effective treatment, and your dog will thank you. If it is a female and it is demodectic mites they may come back on her heat cycle or anytime she is stressed.

Hope this helps,
Bill

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Hillbilly Willie wrote:Try to find out which mites you have. If you have Demodectic mites they are hard to control. I had a dog that was almost hairless before I found out the secret. Beagles unlimited.net has a good article on these mites and many other things.
If you want to get rid of the Demodectic mites, A lady vet. told me to use Ivormec. My dog was about 6mos and 15lbs at the time, she had ear mites that I had treated with everything, and was diagnosed with demodectics. .5cc of ivormec mixed with somethine sweet like gatoraid, or mountain dew, in a 3cc syringe and shoot in the roof of her mouth. You do this with 2 syringes, one to draw the ivormec out and dribble into another with no needle, then draw up the mountain dew. Do this every day for 5 days, wait about 2 weeks and see if she has hair growing back and the itching has stopped. You may need to do it again if they are not under control.
You can also use the ivormec as a heartworm preventative the same way except you only need 1/10th of 1cc for each 10 lb of beagle weight. In the long run this is a very cheep and effective treatment, and your dog will thank you. If it is a female and it is demodectic mites they may come back on her heat cycle or anytime she is stressed.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Bill,
Do you know if this is something that she will pass on to her pups? Also how can I prevent her from getting them when she get stressed or comes in heat?

Hillbilly Willie

Post by Hillbilly Willie »

Elliott,
Thats a good question, I went ahead and bred my 15 month old in Febuary against my wife's better judgement. You know how thats going to work out. Either she passes it to the pups or she doesn't; if she does I won't hear the end of it for a long time. The only way I could justify breeding her was because of a few factors.First off, the guy I got her from has some good rabbit dogs, but the condition of his kennel is would make the humane society cringe. He raised litter after litter in the same whelping box and probably has never cleaned it out.He keeps turkey dogs, deer dogs, rabbit dogs and whatever else. It was like beagle rescue, this litter was in a 10x10 in the mud with another 4 older beagle pups and 3 4month old setter pups. But they were going to be Christmas presents for my son so I got a pair of 10 week old females. I would say they were pretty stressed trying to compete for food, and bedding in 2 barrels.
I kept them off the ground in my puppy pen and gave them a 7-way and wormed them with a sorry wormer and thought they were doing ok. Well within less than a month she started going down hill fast, we were leaving on a ski trip so I took her to the vet. When I got back on Mon. they said it was hook worms and treated her and I bought wormer for her litter mate and a dachsund and treated them.
Then the itching got worse and the hair started falling out, all while the litter mate seemed to show no signs of the mites or a problem. I start looking all over the internet and asking like you for cure. I tried sulfadine, shampoo's, mange medicine, and finally burnt motor oil. She didn't have a problem with the oil, but her hair was still falling out, it seemed like it slowed the itching some though. Then the litter mate starts itching and losing hair. So I go ahead and put the burnt motor oil on her, bad move, the next day when I got home from work she was dead in her box, from licking oil and hair. No more motor oil!!!!!!!
By the end of March the hairless one started jumping and running her own rabbits, 5 months old great. I left her coller off after a bath and she and the dachsund got picked up in the hyway, no coller's, lost, gone, for 6 days. We posted reward signs and the folks who picked them up came back that way a on a job and saw the signs, we paid the reward and got the secret. The lady had been a groomer for a lady vet and we talked to her and got the dosage for the ivormec from the vet. It worked like a charm better than rogain for men.1 month and no itching and complete hair restoration.
Sorry this sounded like a soap opera but I think It had alot to do with my dogs immune problem. I think if you can get it cleared up and get thru a couple of heat cycles with no problem, she should be ok to breed. I have read that most dogs will get over it between 8 months and 3 yrs with no treatment. I also read that If it is a dog you want to breed you should no treat just so you can tell whether the dog is immunalogically messed up. If the heat cycles start the itching go ahead and do a 5 day Ivormec the way I discribed earlier. I'm also using Front line pluse, and a mitetaban coller while she is pregnate.

Good Luck,
Bill

TC

Post by TC »

The Ivormec Will Work...But then again So will the NU-Stock the Nu-Stock just works faster and helps prevent some of the hair Loss....And Spots....And Scraps....AND will also help head off any Infections that they may get from the scratchin and itchin...

Check it out For yourself me personally i wont Ever go without a jar again...

http://www.nustock.com/testimonials.html
http://www.nustock.com/about.html
:nod: