Drontal Plus wormer

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pztrailman

Re: Drontal Plus wormer

Post by pztrailman »

Question #4 tells you why you need to go 3 days in a row http://www.safe-guard-for-dogs.com/dewormer-faq.asp

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Read carefully and you will see that I wrote "for control of hook and roundworms". Whips are hard to get with any wormer because they live in the ceacum(British spelling) of cecum where they are not contacted by some medications. Immature whipworms or larvae are not killed anyway and the treatment needs to be repeated in 21 days to a month regardless of whether you do a 3 day or one day treatment. Read Potts' website and see if you agree with the amount of worming he does. 3 days out of every month seems a little overdone to me.

Check this link

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 07&aid=778

and you will see that the Drontal Plus we are talking about is listed as being effective against whipworms... and about everything else except heartworm. I don't know if it's worth a hoot or not but I'm using it for a while and we'll see.

merv

Post by merv »

Does anyone know where I can get this Pravicet Plus? The other site is not working and teh emails are getting kicked back.

timberdoodle

Post by timberdoodle »

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

Some good information here, and a few misconceptions:

1. There is no reason to use Drontal (regular or Plus) at all, unless your dog has a case of tapeworm. Praziquantel is the most expensive wormer there is, and it is a waste of money to give at all if your dog doesn't actually have tapeworm. $4/pill is a lot cheaper than a vet, but there are even cheaper ways to get praziquantel ;)

2. Panacur/Safeguard is dosed at 1ml/4.4 lb for 3 days in a row, twice daily. That is the new accepted dosage. The reason is worm resistance. Worm resistance occurs precisely because of how widespread mis-use and underdosing occur. Panacur (fenbendazole) is really intended for ruminants. It is a very weak, very slow-acting drug. It is designed for ruminants because their digestive systems are so long and slow in-process that the drug stays in there long enough to actually kill the worms. With dogs, they have a very short digestive system, so things are in-and-out of a dog very quickly, and with a weak drug like Panacur/Safeguard, one day is not enough to zap the worms. This is why it is given 3-days in a row ... and yet NOW the dosage has been bumped up to 3 days in a row, twice daily. Check the latest edition of the Merck Veterinary Manual, under Benzimidazoles (the class of drug), and you will see fenbendazole is now dosed BID (which means twice daily).

For this reason, I would NOT give Panacur to a dog either, unless for the specific intent to rid an animal of a confirmed case of whipworm. Regarding hooks, and rounds, there are better, stronger drugs to use that worms are not as resistant to.

A person can buy a variety of full-strenth wormers, that cover everything Drontal-Plus covers, at a total of about $1.90 a dog. If a person keeps his hounds free of fleas, they will therefore likely be free or tapeworm (unless they actually eat an infected rabbit), so there really is no need to use praziquantel unless you see the "white rice" in the stool. And whipworm aren't very common so again, save yourself the money on the Panacur/Safeguard as well, as this is also one of the most expensive wormers and *the* most labor-intensive wormer on the market.

Good ol' pyrantel pamoate and ivermectin form your cheapest and easiest routine wormers to use. The only reason to use those others, again, would be confirmed cases of tapes/whips (which are uncommon at best).

Good luck.

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

unless i missed it.
the Prazivet plus will do it for 50 cent's a dog
and it is the same thing as drontal plus.
that was the reason for the thread, RIGHT?
i am getting ready to order some.

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

Triple_S wrote:unless i missed it.
the Prazivet plus will do it for 50 cent's a dog
and it is the same thing as drontal plus.
that was the reason for the thread, RIGHT?
i am getting ready to order some.

Yes sir, you missed quite a few key elements, actually. I do see the point I missed, namely the provided link given affords an opportunity to use a drug at $0.58/dog worming (rather than $4.50/worming), but perhaps I can explain the much more important elements you missed more clearly.

#1. There is no reason to buy and use praziquantel at all, unless a dog has a confirmed case of tapeworm;
#2. Getting this drug at $0.58/22 lb is a good deal compared to a vet, but not really when considering a person can get praziquantel 5x cheaper (for $0.11/22 lb) if they buy the drug elsewhere;
#3. The Fenbantel in the generic Drontal won't do any good dosed once a day anyway. It is an illusion. Here is the FDA regs on Fenbental: "NADA established the dose of febantel at 10 mg/kg/day for 3 days for dogs and cats."
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/1374.htm

Thus giving "one" of those generic pills is useless to treat whipworm. Worse, the listed FDA requirements is an old dosage for the Fenbantel (1991). The current dosage for fenbedazole is TWICE DAILY for 3 days in a row. Thus, to effectively treat whipworm, your "fifty-eight cent" pills get multiplied times 6 (twice a day, for 3 days in a row) which full treatment in fact brings the cost back up to $3.50/dog. That's not a lot of money per-dog, but if you start giving wormers like this indiscriminantly, and if you under-dose them, you will create worm resistance to the drug on your yard.

"... with the widespread development of resistance and the availability of more efficient and easier to administer compounds, their use is rapidly decreasing ... In dogs and cats, mebendazole, fenbendazole, febantel, and flubendazole are used for treatment of roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. However, treatment must be given BID (twice daily) for 3 days."
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 191507.htm

Again, it is simply better NOT to try to buy all of these drugs lumped into one product, because (a) you are wasting your money on drugs you don't necessarily need and (b) the drugs all require different dosages and different frequencies anyway. What seems like a good deal actually isn't, and in fact creates an opportunity for mis-dosing.

It is absolutely preferable to buy generic, yes, but it is preferable still to buy them all individually (praziquantel, pyrantel, and fenbental), so that you use the right drug, at the right dose, at the right frequency ... without using unnecessary drugs and without misuse of added drugs.

I hope I was clearer :D

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

explanation well taken.
and comprehended.
thanks
Steve

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

I got my shipment in today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dave404

Post by dave404 »

i ordered 12 boxes and got only 6 . i emailed them without any reply.
anyone have any problem like this ??

dave404

Post by dave404 »

btt