Anyone know what this is..ears..(pics)..Update3dayslater3-07

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Anyone know what this is..ears..(pics)..Update3dayslater3-07

Post by Joeyman »

and how I can fix it in a safe manner. She is going to have pups in about 50 more days.

I used R7 ear cleaner. Every other day - 3 times already. Followed it up with R7 ear mite med. Liquid form.

Inside of the ear looks moist and alway brown stuff. But I'm keeping it clean so far. No she doesn't shake her head or scratch

I would like to use that ear powder stuff to keep them dry.

I was wearing the glove cause I was about to clean her ears out again. So....

Last edited by Joeyman on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

TC

Re: Anyone know what this is....ears....(pics)

Post by TC »

looks to be a Fungus to me And Not originating in the inner ear itself.
Try Some NU-Stock just Slather it on the the ear real good And within a few Days it should clear up...Dont put any IN the ear just rub the whole ear down good with it..
The inside of the ear canal Dont look to bad to me So Could just be Spreading from the outside...
OH and keep the Gloves handy for the Nu-Stock Unless you want your hands to Stink for a week!!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

the actual ear canal has that brown stuff in it. I clean it out good but always see that moisture in it. And it hurts her some when I clean it out. It is a little sorish in their too.

Nu-stock. I can pick that up at billboatman.com I think right?

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

how about this?

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A51787.htm

nu-stock--------says do not use on pregnant dogs. I'm afraid to use anything on her. You think the pups could get this?

TC

Post by TC »

HMMMM Just looked at my Jar and it Dont Say not to use on pregnant dogs or animals..
All it is is
Sulpher
mineral oil
Pine oil

Ingredients: Sulfur, pine oil, and mineral oil.

For Use On: Dogs, Horses, and Cattle.

Directions for Use:
Consult a veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, medicated, pregnant, or nursing animals. Sensitivities may occur after using any topical medications. If signs of sensitivities occur, bathe your pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately. May thin with baby oil if needed. Wash hands after use, will irritate eyes. For external use only. Mix contents well before use.

For use on Horses:
Use for cuts, bruises, burns, swelling, soreness, loss of hair, tender hooves, and much more.

Clean area, let dry, and then rub into affected area. Repeat every three days until desired results. Eliminates soreness and promotes fastest healing.

For use on Cattle: Use after dehorning and castrating.

For mange, cuts, and skinned areas on Dogs:
Clean area to be treated, let dry, and apply to all affected areas and rub into skin. Repeat every 3 days until desired results. On dogs over 10 years old, use only every 2 weeks. Topical use only.

Keep pet from licking. Prolonged or frequent repeated skin contact may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Wear protective rubber gloves when applying this product. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Do not use on dogs under 12 weeks of age.

For Treatment of Ear Mites:
Apply down into the ear as far as possible, once every 3 days.

I Am Sure even the Stuff your using now Says Something about not using on Expecting animals its a liability thing..
All i can tell you is we NEVER had a problem with it just Dont let em EAT it LOL
I Would trust it over the Happy Jack
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

ok I'll give it a try. Going to buy it somewhere online now. I'm just a little worried. Last breeding on her was Feb15th. Not like her belly is showing or anything. I'm wanting to clear this up some before the pups show.

Thanks for your help TC

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Joey tractor supply,co-op,and our local feed stores carry it, so i check around them places before i order.
It works good.
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

if there is a bad smell coming from the ear it is an infection. ask your vet for a tube of anamax about 8$.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Picked up Nu-Stock last night and applied it. It does smell and it is messy.

I wore some plastic gloves. I spread a thin layer on her ears. I rubbed it in some. So in three days I'll put another layer on her ears and see what happens.

Thanks guys

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Out of curiousity, what store did you find that carries the Nu-Stock? Our TSC doesn't carry it and I went to a feed/tack store that didn't have it either. I wound up getting some from a wholesale distributor nearby, but it would probably be less hassle through a retail store. Thanks.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Bucheit's Farm Store. They even carry three different type's of BlackGold. THey have the black Bag Grey Bag and Yellow Bag. Also diamond dog food. They have a ton of dog food just put it that way. And they have Nu-stock in a big tube.

they are located in Herculaneum, MO

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

The most common problems with ears are (a) mites, (b) yeasts, (3) pseudamonas bacteria.

Nu-Stock is a great product, and could handle all 3, the trouble is you really don't want to dump gobs of this stuff into a dog's inner ear. This can cause problems of its own.

I would suggest doing a simple culture at the vet. If the problem is yeast, you could use a chlorhexadine (Nolvasan) solution. If the problem is mites, a simple SC injection of Ivermectin will do the trick. However, if the problem is a pseudamonas bacteria, you will need antibiotic treatment.

Therefore, "best practice" would be to get a culture of the offending goop in her ear, determine what the problem actually is, and then to look for a cheap alternative to deal with the specific problem.

Good luck,

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Going to reapply tonight. I will take pics of the progress. I think I saw a difference but we'll see. Second coat of Nu-Stock going on tonight.

Pics up tomorrow

-Joey

Joeyman

Re: Anyone know what this is..ears..(pics)...Update 3days later

Post by Joeyman »

3 days later.........

So this is what they looked like 3days later after I pulled her out of the kennel.

So I look in there. And the same Brown crap inside the canal. I took the R7 ear cleaner poured a bit in. Worked her ears some to loosen the brown wax. Took cotton balls and wiped them out nice and clean. Then I poured some of the ear cleaner on the ear flaps and wiped them down pretty good.

I think I see a small difference. Nu-Stock may be working. I applied another layer after her ears dried off. Anyone have anymore suggestions please feel free to tell me. I'd like to clear this up.

Triple_S

Re: Anyone know what this is..ears..(pics)..Update3dayslater2-27

Post by Triple_S »

i think it looks better. that nu-stock is some good stuff.
i went to TSC an got some EMT gel. but i already put new stock on Doc's paw.