WARTS

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jfields

WARTS

Post by jfields »

I have a female that had a wart on the side of her lip. Now she has 3. Any experienc with this? Any suggestions?
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

TC

Re: WARTS

Post by TC »

Yup Seen em a Number of times usually on younger dogs..
Canine Viral papillomas here is a good link below.
We always try to Crush one or two and they seem to go away a LOT faster Sometimes whithin a few days..

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... lomas.html

In most cases, treatment is unnecessary; one simply allows the papillomas to go away on their own.
Sometimes crushing several growths seems to stimulate the host’s immune system to assist in the tumor regression process.
a 10 day course of the antibiotic azithromycin was able to remove all lesions within 15 days with no recurrences during an 8 month follow up period. This therapy is readily available in the U.S. and is likely to become treatment of choice.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

wvhunter

Post by wvhunter »

Any other advice. I also have a young dog with a severe case of warts. she had her dose of antibiotic's last thursday (8-13) but I don't notice any chance.
LP RCH BCH Wolfe's Da Bomb Sam (2 wins)
Barton Hollow Bolt Action
Bokes Creek Ellie
3M's Diesel
3M's Zoom Zoom Rage
3M's Da Bomb Muzzy

pa.hunter

Post by pa.hunter »

i think the best thing to do with that pup mark, is to put it down. that pup is in real bad shape.just to look at it..good luck with it..
a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

you can also research here----
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... papillomas
maybe try campho phenique
-tea tree oil--
neem oil
seems like its just a virial reaction like herpes/coldsore also found this=

Papilloma viruses are small, double-stranded DNA viruses of the Papovaviridae family. Some mammals have several distinct papilloma viruses—humans have >20; cattle, 6; dogs, 3; and rabbits, 2. Different papilloma viruses often have considerable species, site, and histologic specificity. The virus is transmitted by direct contact, fomites, and possibly by insects. Papillomas have been reported in all domestic animals, birds, and fish. Multiple papillomas (papillomatosis) of skin or mucosal surfaces generally are seen in younger animals and are usually caused by viruses. Papillomatosis is most common in cattle, horses, and dogs. Single papillomas are more frequent in older animals, but they may not always be caused by viral infection.
When lesions are multiple, they may be sufficiently characteristic to confirm the diagnosis; however, there are many simulants of warts, and a definitive diagnosis requires identification of the virus or its cytopathic effects on individual cells—a change known as koilocytic atypia or koilocytosis.
In cattle, warts commonly are found on the head, neck, and shoulders, and occasionally on the back and abdomen. The extent and duration of the lesions depend on the type of virus, area affected, and degree of susceptibility. Warts appear ~2 mo after exposure and may last ≥1 yr. Papillomatosis becomes a herd problem when a large group of young, susceptible cattle become infected. Immunity usually develops 3-4 wk after initial infection, but papillomatosis occasionally recurs, probably due to loss of immunity.
Although most warts appear as epidermal proliferations that have a keratotic surface resembling a cauliflower (verruca vulgaris), some bovine papilloma viruses (bovine papilloma types 1 and 2) involve dermal fibroblasts and keratinocytes and appear as a papulonodule with a warty surface. Such fibropapillomas may involve the venereal regions where they can cause pain, disfigurement, infection of the penis of young bulls, and dystocia when the vaginal mucosa of heifers is affected.
A form of persistent cutaneous papillomatosis with smaller numbers of papillomas may be seen in herds of older cattle. A bovine papilloma virus has been demonstrated in bladder tumors associated with bracken fern ingestion ( Bracken Fern Poisoning : Introduction) and in upper GI tract papillomas of cattle in Scotland. It is believed that the papilloma virus acts as a co-carcinogen. When bovine papilloma virus type 1 or 2 is injected into the skin of horses, a dermal tumor similar to equine sarcoid develops.

Photographs

Equine papillomas
Equine papillomas

In horses, small, scattered papillomas develop on the nose, lips, eyelids, distal legs, penis, vulva, mammary glands, and inner surfaces of the pinnae, often secondary to mild abrasions. They can be a herd problem, especially when young horses are kept together, but regress in a few months, as a foal’s immune system matures. When they develop in older horses, they often persist for >1 yr. So-called aural plaques are also thought to be a flat form of papilloma (verruca planum). Equine papillomas are disfiguring but benign. They need to be distinguished from verrucous equine sarcoid ( Soft-tissue Sarcomas).
In dogs, 3 clinical presentations of canine papilloma virus infection have been described. The first is canine mucous membrane papillomatosis, which primarily affects young dogs. It is characterized by the presence of multiple warts on oral mucous membranes from lips to (occasionally) the esophagus and on the conjunctival mucous membranes and adjacent haired skin. When the oral cavity is severely affected, there is interference with mastication and swallowing. A viral etiology has been clearly established for these lesions. The second presentation is cutaneous papillomas, which are indistinguishable from the warts that develop on or around mucous membranes. However, they are more frequently solitary and develop on older dogs. Cocker Spaniels and Kerry Blue Terriers may be predisposed. A definitive viral etiology has not been established, and lesions may be confused with cutaneous tags. Recently, a syndrome characterized by papillomatosis of one or more footpads has been described. Clinically, lesions appear as multiple, raised keratin horns. A viral etiology has been suggested but not proven. The third presentation is cutaneous inverted papillomas, which have more in common clinically with intracutaneous cornifying epitheliomas. In this disease of young, mature dogs, lesions most commonly develop on the ventral abdomen where they appear as raised papulonodules with a keratotic center. Infrequently, viral papillomas in dogs may progress to invasive squamous cell carcinomas.

TC

Post by TC »

WHY would you put a Dog down For Something as Simple as this?????
SURE it looks bad But just as simple or even less so than impacted Anal Glands just Follow the recommendations and it will be fine..
We have had it at one time in our kennel and an older fella i knew reached down and Crushed one on her lip within 4 days they were going away within a week they were gone and have never returned....
I cannot believe a person would put a pup down for something as simple as this maybe they shouldnt raise pups JMHO
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

pa.hunter

Post by pa.hunter »

tc this pup dont just have one. it has a bunch the pup has a bad smell to it.gums are white no color in them.that what it was when i seen it.even the vet said it was real bad and might not get it to clear up.and i do raise some pups when i need some younger dogs.i am not in it for the money.like a lot of other people.
a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

sounds like it is alot more than just warts

joekaschak

Post by joekaschak »

I treated with neosporin and went completely away in about 5 days. White gums is a lack of red blood cells (anemic) Vet should have checked this. How old is pup?

wvhunter

Post by wvhunter »

She now only has MAYBE 5 warts left compared to 200+.
Bokes Creek Ellie
3M's Diesel
3M's Zoom Zoom Rage
3M's Da Bomb Muzzy

miner49er

Post by miner49er »

I have a female with this problem and was told by some friends to go to Southern States CO-OP and get some cattle wart vaccine, they said in mild cases give her 1/2 of a cc, wait 21 days and give another 1/2 cc, I have given the first and much to my surprise they are drying up and falling off. The guy that told me about this had a dog that had thousands of them around his mouth and eyes, they gave him a full cc and I saw him yesterday and he is wart free.
You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything

wvhunter

Post by wvhunter »

the vet that I went to used cattle wart vac. but he used 2cc's on her and to apply it every 2 weeks. it has been a month and she is wart free.
Bokes Creek Ellie
3M's Diesel
3M's Zoom Zoom Rage
3M's Da Bomb Muzzy

zjamesmoore

Post by zjamesmoore »

Are these warts of the mouth contagious ?????

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Give them a vitamin B pill and they will be gone in a day or two.

beagle1966

Post by beagle1966 »

had one that had warts on lip and a old man told me to give adult dog vitamin from wal mart give 2 first day and one a day for about two weeks. I did and warts were gone in about 3 weeks.