Ear Mites

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CAPITAL CITY BEAGLER

Ear Mites

Post by CAPITAL CITY BEAGLER »

Need some input on ear mites in dogs.I have a old male beagle & a 8 month old pup with possible ear mites,the older dog has been shaking his head alot off & on,the pup at the end of his ears are kinda puffy around the edges.I have a total of five dogs &all have been scratching alot during the winter months.Is this possible ear mites, and what is the best remedy for curing this
problem?Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

Capital City Beagler

Chuck Terry

Re: Ear Mites

Post by Chuck Terry »

If it is earmites, three small drops of Ivomec in each ear will take care of the problem. Not sure about the "puffiness". This may sound gross but lift up the ear flap and take a sniff and see if the ear smells like "rancid cooking oil". The Ivomec won't hurt even if the dog does not have earmites.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

If it is earmites, three small drops of Ivomec in each ear will take care of the problem. Not sure about the "puffiness".
Doug,
This is what I do for earmites also. I have had some dogs develop some puffiness like you said your pup has but it usually comes after a lot of hard hunting/running when their ears get all torn up but it doesn't last long. How is your pup running? The bluetick litter mate to him that I kept got killed by a car but the tri-color female litter mate I kept has been putting it on three 19 month old males that I have been running her with and she will just be 9 months old this coming Monday and has plenty speed. It is time to put her with some hard hitting dogs and see how she does under pressure but I don't see her having any problems. It must be the Heli-Prop and Jack Of All Trades coming out of her because you know she is a grand pup to Heli-Prop. LOL
Chuck

CAPITAL CITY BEAGLER

Post by CAPITAL CITY BEAGLER »

Thanks for the input!Hey Chuck how's it going?My pup is doing pretty good, I just haven't had time to work him as much as I
would like.I hunted peabody the last week of the season,just one day because of the snow that came the night before.He really
did well,he packed in with the other dogs for the first time and never quit until the rabbit was dead.He really loves that rabbit
after you kill it.I believe he's going to make a good hound,he sure is bred up for it.
Sorry to hear you lost one of his litter mates,but at least you still have the tri-color,glad to hear that he is burning it up.Give me a shout sometime.

Doug

Chippewa01

Post by Chippewa01 »

My vet gave me a solution called Oto Plus. Put a couple drops in the ear and on the outside for a couple days. Stuff works like a charm. Its also good on cuts in the edges of ears from the brush.
http://www.chippewa-valley-kennels.webs.com
Home of
Ch HbCh Buckeye Bear of Brush
PcH GrHbCh Chippewa Bear Cub
GrHbCh Chippewa Little Rachel