the term "keeping my pup wormed"

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

the term "keeping my pup wormed"

Post by ant »

i here that term alot. what does that mean?
anthony

Post by Guest »

For whatever reason, "worming" and "de-worming" have taken on the same meaning - treating a pup for various types intestinal worms. Worms can cause serious problems for pups, and they should be treated several times as a precaution even if there are no worm sightings/symptoms.

kidspot

Post by kidspot »

out of curiosity - if the mother has no worms and the kennel is secluded from other dogs, what are the chances of the pups getting worms? The kennel is bleached weekly also.

If there is still a chance of worms do the pups get the same wormer the mother does (she's on a monthly multi-wormer for heartworm, etc..)

I'm not planning on breeding anytime soon - just curious. . .

Tim

Post by Guest »

You're basically going to have puppies with intestinal worms no matter how clean your facilities are, but de-worming will keep them under control or get rid of them completely. Most people de-worm a pup 3 times before 8 weeks of age and then once or twice after that. Certain worms are not normal for pups. If you have a pup that develops tapeworms, that's a sign that it has ingested fleas or rodents.

I don't know which worms your multi-wormer affects, but heartworms are different than "puppy worms." Heartworms are spread through mosquito bites, and you don't really have to worry about it with pups. Generally, it takes from a few to several months after being bitten by a carrier mosquito for a dog to test positive for heartworms. If a dog is infected but not to the point that it tests positive for heartworms, the preventative will take care of things. Most people don't test for heartworms or put a pup on prevention until 6 months of age.

Since you are in Hawaii, your experiences with worms could be different from those of us on the mainland.