Help - bitch is down

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cjcocodrie

Help - bitch is down

Post by cjcocodrie »

Due to the high water here I moved my two beagles to Mississippi. My daughter called a few minutes ago and said one of them is unable to stand. She is alert, and responsive, but doesn't appear to have control of her hind legs. No fever, she will eat & drink but appears weak and shakey. My vet has moved out of the flood too, and I am unsure of how to contact her, but I'm working on it. One suspicion was ticks - she does have flea & tick treatment, but my daughter found a few on her & removed them - none were engorged and some were dead. She does have any other visible injuries, tenderness, or symptoms - Anybody know what could be wrong and what I should do?

littlewoody

Re: Help - bitch is down

Post by littlewoody »

Sorry about your dog get her to a vet down there asp!
TheJohnBirchSociety

cjcocodrie

Post by cjcocodrie »

To all who wondered (and thanks for your concern Woody) I did finally reach my vet and she said that mine was the fifth call she'd had this weekend with same symptoms. It is a tick reaction and she prescribed Benyadryl and aspirin. So far no change but vet said it could take 24 - 36 hours and if it wasn't improved in the morning to call her again. Said most of the other five were already improving and I shouldn't worry. I will keep you posted in case anyone else runs into this problem.

cjcocodrie

Post by cjcocodrie »

Comet is up and back to normal this morning. All I did was 25 mg of Benadryl every four hours (3 a day) and 81 mg aspirin twice a day. The vet said if she hadn't responded they would have started steroids & antibiotics. Apparently it looks a lot worse than it is. I will watch for further reaction, but she seems just fine now.
She did have Frontline and we checked for ticks the last time we let her run so apparently there is little you can do for prevention.