Vaccine Reaction

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hogbody

Vaccine Reaction

Post by hogbody »

Has anyone ever had a dog have a reaction to a 7-way vaccine? I gave my yearly shots last weekend and my 1 year old female had a mild reaction. She looked real lathargic for a time. Just layed down. Wouldn't even get up and dinner time. She eventualy came out of it and seems to be fine now.
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.

paducahky1

Re: Vaccine Reaction

Post by paducahky1 »

i had the same thing happen to me,, but after a few hrs she was back to normal, dont know what happened !
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

This happened to my pup when she got her 12 week vaccination. She got really lethargic and when my son tried to pick her up she yelped like she was in pain. I ended up calling the vet and he told me its normal for them to get sleepy after a vaccination but if there is pain and swelling at the site of the injection then that means their having a reaction. He told me to give her 1 teaspoon of childrens liquid benadryl. We did and she was back to her normal self in about an hour.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

We no longer use 7-in-1 shots because of vaccine reactions, we use 5-in-1 shots instead. If you're going to use a 7-in-1 vaccine, give them Benadryl (25mg tablet = 1/2 tablet for puppy/1 tablet for adult Beagle) 30mins to a hour before vaccinating. It will generally prevent vaccine reactions.