Ivomec question...

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NCSportsman

Ivomec question...

Post by NCSportsman »

My vet recommended that I buy Ivomec for cattle from Agri Supply and give my hounds 0.1ml by mouth every month to prevent heartworms.

On the bottle, it says for subcutaneous injection in cattle and swine ONLY.

Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks!

Joeyman

Re: Ivomec question...

Post by Joeyman »

I have been using it on my hounds for the past couple of years. No problems so far. I use 1/10th of a CC per 10lbs of dog.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

bama31

Post by bama31 »

I also use it, I had a guy who has been in beagling and has several finished hounds tell me to mix it 3CC of Ivomec to 27CC of water and than give dogs 1cc. I havenever had a problem with worms and I have had them tested by the vet also. So this is what I have been doing for a while now

little e kennels

Post by little e kennels »

I mix 86 cc of propaline glycol to 14 cc of ivermec and give 1 cc per 10 lbs of body weight that works for me

allniter

Post by allniter »

.03cc--ivomec --adult beagles --o1.cc for pups -fill the syringe rest of the way with pop--or juice of some source --ivmoce is real bitter
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

I truly think all that warning is for is to get you to buy it for dogs where the equivalant amount of wormer costs 20 times more.

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

Just make sure when you mix it with something else you shake it up real good Ivomec dont mix well and you may not get a good dose if you mix a lot at one time.I Give .10 cc for heartworm preventative and use valbazen for tape worms and other worms. You can up the dose of Ivomec and get everything but tapes I used to do this and use no mos for tapes but I cant find them anymore. Has anyone ever used Ivomec pour on I use it on cattle sheep and chickens and it does a good job on external parasites but I dont know if it works on dogs.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I've never used Ivemec pour on on dogs.But...a cat my wife and I had both wormed several times with several different wormers she had gotten from the vet ...they didn't work.He was eating everything in sight and looking worse every day..skin and bones ,bad hair,sores,he was in bad shape.I was worming cattle with pour on Ivemec, allong stroled the cat.I gave him a good dose.This stuff must be pretty safe as far as overdosing is concerened.In a week he looked a lot better in a month he looked like a different cat...Don;t know if you are supose to use on cats but beats the heck out of getting scratched..

cajunmeadows2

Post by cajunmeadows2 »

All the vet bought heart wormers are ivomec based. A lot cheaper is why alot of vets won't back it up.

KZ2858

Post by KZ2858 »

The reason for the warning not to use on dogs is if the dog has a *mature* heartworm infestation and you kill all the worms with the Ivomec (and you would) the dead worms will clump up in the dog's heart, killing it. As long as you KNOW your dog does not have a Mature infection, Ivomec in any form will kill the immature life stage of the heartworm, (microfilaria in the blood) protecting your dog from the dangerous mature, heart infecting stage.

They want people to have their dogs heartworm tested prior to use so they don't dose a dog with a heart full of worms, killing both the dog and the worms. But as long as you start early in the pups life - prior to 4 or 5 months old; or, have had the dog tested and have kept them wormed with a heartworm preventive (Ivomec) every other month or so - then you'll be fine. I have used horse wormer for more than 20 years with many dogs and have never had a problem.

I imagine the high cost of the K-9 version has to do with the cost of making it palatable and with packaging.

Never use it in any form with a cat - it will kill a cat.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

had abitch who got red mange vet told me it came from amite on mama stays dormat till around 2 yrs old cure was 2 cc ivomect every day for 2 months abd then 2 time awk. for 1 month i can say it wont kill adog i followed his instructions to atee this is 1 of best hounds i ever owned n 45 yrs of beagles . wanted to save her this is 1 of best vets i ever delt with doctor my dogs last 30 yrs. knows his stuff .tell u stuff other vets wont .
BIGDOGPACE

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

Ivomec does not kill the adult worms, only the juveniles. (If you need to kill the adult worm, your vet has to use melarsomine dihydrochloride.)

Another myth is the idea that you have to mix 1% Ivomec with propolene glycol. There is no reason to mix it with propolene glycol as it already comes mixed with propolene glycol (look at the ingredients :idea: ). So why add more? Further, the dosing of Ivomec is based on an "as is" status, so if you add more propolene glycol to it, you no longer have a 1% solution, so you have no idea how to dose your medicine now. So leave it like it is.

As-is, Ivomec works SC, or by mouth, it makes no difference. It is just easier to give by mouth.

If you're treating for hearworm, you simply give 1/10th of 1 ml per 10 lbs once a month.
If you're treating for sarcoptic mange, you give 1/10th of 1 ml per 10 lbs every 2 weeks.
If you're treating for demodec mange, you give 3/10th of 1 ml per 10 lb, every day, until resolved.

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

I have heard that the pour on will kill fleas and worms any truth to that. Fleas were bad this year
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

If everything around you on the farm has to be ridden of all the various kinds of worms, why not you?
Why do we not think of how to get them out of us? Maybe I'm wrong and folks are doing this, but we worm children so what do you take to rid yourself of worms?

TC

Post by TC »

TheLittleBlackBook wrote:Ivomec does not kill the adult worms, only the juveniles. (If you need to kill the adult worm, your vet has to use melarsomine dihydrochloride.)

Another myth is the idea that you have to mix 1% Ivomec with propolene glycol. There is no reason to mix it with propolene glycol as it already comes mixed with propolene glycol (look at the ingredients :idea: ). So why add more? Further, the dosing of Ivomec is based on an "as is" status, so if you add more propolene glycol to it, you no longer have a 1% solution, so you have no idea how to dose your medicine now. So leave it like it is.

As-is, Ivomec works SC, or by mouth, it makes no difference. It is just easier to give by mouth.

If you're treating for hearworm, you simply give 1/10th of 1 ml per 10 lbs once a month.
If you're treating for sarcoptic mange, you give 1/10th of 1 ml per 10 lbs every 2 weeks.
If you're treating for demodec mange, you give 3/10th of 1 ml per 10 lb, every day, until resolved.
This is the way we have done it for 15 years and aint lost a dog yet!!!
we give it once a month on a small piece of bread...Aint never had one with mange so have not used the other dosage given..we have even given it to our Rabbits for ear mites just squirt it in their ears clears up within a week!!
All other worms we treat with prazivet or Drontal
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be