fleas on dogs

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

daisy102998

fleas on dogs

Post by daisy102998 »

HELP!!! I have been using malathion on my dogs for fleas, but is not working. I just tried 5% seven dust and it does not seem to be working either. I just read where some one is using Spoton for fleas on his dogs. What is the dosage and does it work?
I need help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
daisy102998

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

You will also need to treat the kennel too, or the fleas will just get back on the dog. I've had great success with Frontline Topspot. Usually within a couple days fleas and ticks on the dogs are gone. It kills the fleas when they bite the dog and lasts for 2-3 months.

To treat the ground I use Twenty Team Borax. One pound per ten square feet, lighlty wet with water to keep powder from dogs eyes. I also sprinkle cedar chips in their dog houses and on the ground over the Borax. Cedar by itself isn't effective, but it does act as a natural flea repellant.

Just be careful not to mix and match different chemicals (flea treatments) on the dog. They can combine to have bad affects. But....if you don't treat the housing and living area of the dog, the kennels, you are fighting a losing battle.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

daisy102998

Post by daisy102998 »

Thank you!!!

kybeagler

Post by kybeagler »

Another great thing to use is garlic powder this is great for fleas and ticks. But you do also have to clean kennel as well and a good thing for this is diesel fuel.

DBM

Flea's

Post by DBM »

I use BioSpot. I have 11 dogs and I haven't seen a flea in years. I treat on the first of each month and only treat 1/2 the dogs. ie a dog gets treated everyother month. No fleas or ticks and it's cheep.