Need some suggestions please...

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Fleetwood

Need some suggestions please...

Post by Fleetwood »

Hey guys, I need a little advice. I've got a nine year old bitch that seems to be losing weight. I've noticed this over the past week or so. Her stools look fine, her coat is shiny and her eyes look clear. I've just noticed her sleeping a lot more and she is more bony if that makes sense. Her ribs and hip bones are protruding a little. Ya'll think I should make her an appointment at the vet or just try to feed her more? Thanks!

dannycrlsn

Re: Need some suggestions please...

Post by dannycrlsn »

I had a hound that was losing weight a few years ago. I was feeding a maintenance feed which was 22% protein and 10%fat. All of the rest of my dogs ( I generally feed around 20 head)on the same feed were slick and fat and maintianed their weight. A trip to the vet found nothing wrong with the dog. I switched feeds (same brand) and started feeding the dogs feed that was 22% protein and 16% fat and the dog started picking up weight and was able to maintain his weight. You might want to find a feed with more fat content