Allergies

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Dog

Allergies

Post by Buckeye Dog »

My dog travels with me so she is in states from Maine - Florida, Minnesota - Texas and eastern Canada, lots of different environments. Every spring she starts licking and digging at her belly and starts getting dark spots on her underside. The licking and digging not only bother her but me also. I transport to several vets who are hunters so have had her checked in Ohio where I live, in Mass, VA, Texas where my Vet friends are. She has had blood work and skin scrapings. Have tried various shampoo from vet, tried all kinds of dog foods that are grain free, those with salmon, for sensitive skin, benadryl pills and nothing works. Her skin at rear legs each side of tail starts to get a dark coloration. I am not hunting her so she is not in the woods. The vets say it appears to be an airborne allergy of some type. My next choice is to take her to the college vet school to be tested which will end up thousands of dollars I can't afford. So far the only relief has been a steriod shot in the spring, again in summer and fall - just get it when the problem gets bad again. I don't like her having the shots. She is 8 1/2 years old and is good health otherwise. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas. Spring around the corner so I am going to have this problem again and would like to be ready for it. This has been going on about 4 years now.
Mary Ann
740-236-0578
buckeyedoghaul@aol.com
buckeyekennel.com

Discounts given for multiple dogs, veterns and disabled
Full time transporter since 2002
Life Member NRA 30+ years

USDA, insured

KZ2858

Re: Allergies

Post by KZ2858 »

I've had several allergic dogs over the years and sympathize with you and your poor dog. I once had a Gorden setter that was allergic to planet earth. I think the best thing you can do is avoid corn in her diet as much as possible and go ahead and get her her shots. They might cause side effects some day but the relif she gets is probably well worth it. I did discover a temporary relief for my setter in Caldisen baby powder. http://amzn.com/B000IBPD6M I would pat it on his itchy spots and he would actually sigh and relax and stop the frantic licking. Just be sure to sprinkle it in your hand and pat it on, because a cloud of the dust that might result otherwise would probably annoy her. I once had a lady tell me it cured her little dog - but I am sure she just meant helped a lot as there is no cure for allergies - sadly - just treatments.