Itchy Pups

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

HillBeagles

Itchy Pups

Post by HillBeagles »

My pups has been itching like crazy they have little sores all over they are scratching so much they are losing some hair. any info?
Josh Hill
859-613-2419

S.R.Patch

Re: Itchy Pups

Post by S.R.Patch »

Clean out the bedding,... nothing but a clean dry box.
Use a shampoo with sulfur.
For feet and legs I'll stand them in a bucket of Epsom salt water. will dry and heal any oozy sores.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Everything patch said will work great,Had a vet.tell me years ago any itchy,scaley,most skin problems other than open sores,use a medicated dandruf shampoo.Leave it on for at least 10 min.this is a easy way to take care of minor skin problems.We scrubed down a friends dog that had mange.I'm not sure how much it helped this,but it sure cleaned up the skin,then he used the happy jack mange med.a few days and it was gone.

HillBeagles

Post by HillBeagles »

Just bought some happy jack
Josh Hill
859-613-2419

raccoon crk kennel

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

the last litter i raised got itchy,took them to the vet and the dam had a deficiancy and they had mights that the vet said was caused by her,he give me some med shampoo and i had to clean the whelping pen but they got better.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

raccoon crk kennel wrote:the last litter i raised got itchy,took them to the vet and the dam had a deficiancy and they had mights that the vet said was caused by her,he give me some med shampoo and i had to clean the whelping pen but they got better.
those mites you refer to is a form of mange pasted down by there mumma, some times the issue comes back and sticks with the pups there hole life.

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Never had am entire litter like that, but I've had a single pup in the litter have dry itchy skin. We treated with tea tree oil and neem oil. Kept him washed and flea free. The soars cleared up good and as far as I know, he didn't have any more problems.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

I have two pups with Sarcoptic mange. I dipped them in Happy Jack mange dip then give them .05 ml of ivomec liquid for the past two weeks. I also wash them in medicated shampoo and let it sit for 10 mins. I also fed them a vitamin booster in high protein puppy feed. They are tons better but it takes about three weeks to kill the mite larve they have in their skin. The ivomec seems to be doing the trick. You have to do a skin scrape and look under a microscope to see if it is mites because they are microscopic and can not be seen with the naked eye. Good luck.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

If the pups have been on the ground,it could have been a dew fungus. I had this with a litter a couple of years ago. They looked terrible for a while, but I basically did the same thing everyone else on here has said to do and their hair came back and have not had any lingering effects.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

HillBeagles

Post by HillBeagles »

christ1971 wrote:I have two pups with Sarcoptic mange. I dipped them in Happy Jack mange dip then give them .05 ml of ivomec liquid for the past two weeks. I also wash them in medicated shampoo and let it sit for 10 mins. I also fed them a vitamin booster in high protein puppy feed. They are tons better but it takes about three weeks to kill the mite larve they have in their skin. The ivomec seems to be doing the trick. You have to do a skin scrape and look under a microscope to see if it is mites because they are microscopic and can not be seen with the naked eye. Good luck.
Do you inject the ivomec?
Josh Hill
859-613-2419

allniter

Post by allniter »

just mix ivomec with something it is real bitter--giving in mouth
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

HillBeagles

Post by HillBeagles »

I heard this and tried the taste myself didnt seem to bad