Beagle with "seizure" or muscle cramp?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Faith

Beagle with "seizure" or muscle cramp?

Post by Faith »

Hi

I hope that experienced beagle owners out there will be able to give me their opinions.

I have a 4month beagle that recently (few days ago) had what I thought was serious muscle cramp after I made the mistake of taking him out for a long walk. He couldn't walk properly after that and at times when he gets excited (mealtime) would seem as though his whole body tensed up and his legs seem to freze on him and he can't walk and has to sit down, or he tries to walk but can't. And while he's eating, I think he's straining so much to stand that he's shaking quite violently. The doctor gave him muscle relaxant but says its not normal to have such symptoms, said might be neurological.

Is that possible? He was OK before that, but I noticed very slight shaking of his front legs sometimes while waiting for his food or while balancing on my lap.

Please do give me your advice, am really worried sick. Thank you. :(

D.J. Wade

Post by D.J. Wade »

I have an od dog that does the same thing it sounds like. Does your dog drool when he has one? My vet thought it might be a low blood sugar reaction. So when she had on I put some nutra-cal in her mouth and within 3-4 minutes it was over. I have since went to 2 and 3 a day small feedings and this has helped I think also. No expert just speakng from what I have seen. D.J. Wade

Faith

puppy with seizure or muscle cramp?

Post by Faith »

Thanks DJ. My vet had said he didn't think it was low blood sugar level. I feed him 3 meals a day, maybe he needs more food...eats so violently each time. He's better now, but tires easily. Will see what vet says next week. Fingers crossed.