Coccidosis some bad ShXX !!!!!!

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pilotknob

Coccidosis some bad ShXX !!!!!!

Post by pilotknob »

Been thru the mill with this stuff,had a few several years ago that caught it.They got over it pretty quick,I have two twelve week old pups both caught it,I was useing Sumulut in their water.I lost a male after a couple hundred dollar vet bill,and the female isn't out of the woods yet.Can putting something in their water to prevent them from getting it cause them to not develop immunity to it.I went from a fat pup that had a perfect little puppy turd to a dead pup in 5 days.Nothing would turn it arround.This is the worst stuff I have ever delt with!!!!

hcaplinger

Re: Coccidosis some bad ShXX !!!!!!

Post by hcaplinger »

i had a whole litter get it a few years ago.a rip to the vet and they were all good in about a week.i beleive they gave me albon for it.
Caplingers Brush Bustin Kennels home of:
caplingers machine gun minnie
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I use Corid. It is fairly cheap so I usually mix up some for the dogs as a preventive once a month and give to my grown dogs as well as pups. I had a litter of 7 and after 2 came down with coccidosis I was told about corid and saved the other 4 and have been using it now on a regular basis for 3 years with no more cases of coccidosis.

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

It's not that bad once you learn the symptoms and how to treat it.

Since Coccidia and Giardia have similar symptoms, we treat for both at the same time to prevent the loss of pups (See http://www.johnkoerner.org/LittleBlackBook/) . Here is what we do.

Purchase:
*Fish Sulfa Forte: Sulfamethoxazole 800mg, Trimethoprim 160mg (http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-and-B ... otics.html)
*Fish Zole Forte: Metronidazole 500mg
*10 cc syringe without needle

You fill your syringe with 8 cc/mL of water and dissolve one tablet of Fish Sulfa Forte and one tablet of Fish Zole Forte in the water. After it is dissolved, you mix it very well. Administer 1cc/mL of this mixture per 5lbs your dog/puppy weighs. Be sure to shake very well between dosages. Repeat this treatment once daily for 5-7 days.

We've never lost a pup this way, it should cover everything except worms, parvovirus or coronavirus.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Thought I give a update,I was treating the pups with sumulet in their water off and on as a precaution.When the male pup got sick I took him to the vet and he gave Alabon.Never did turn it around and I lost him.When the female started getting sick I began giveing her Alibon also and she kept getting worse.I went to TSC and got a bag of the 20% powdered Cordid and mixed about 1/2 teaspoon with some bread and milk and let her eat it.This was yesterday afternoon this morning I checked on her and it was the first time she has made a solid turd in over three weeks.She is eatind like crazy and full of energy seems like she is doing better.This stuff seems to work I just wish I'ed tried it before.The sulfa based meds.wouldn't toutch this stuff.

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

pilotknob wrote:Thought I give a update,I was treating the pups with sumulet in their water off and on as a precaution.When the male pup got sick I took him to the vet and he gave Alabon.Never did turn it around and I lost him.When the female started getting sick I began giveing her Alibon also and she kept getting worse.I went to TSC and got a bag of the 20% powdered Cordid and mixed about 1/2 teaspoon with some bread and milk and let her eat it.This was yesterday afternoon this morning I checked on her and it was the first time she has made a solid turd in over three weeks.She is eatind like crazy and full of energy seems like she is doing better.This stuff seems to work I just wish I'ed tried it before.The sulfa based meds.wouldn't toutch this stuff.
Yes, unfortunately, due to many diseases/parasites building resistance to conventional medications, alot of times the standard remedies of Albon (aka: Sulmet) and Corid no longer work on coccidia. You are furtunate that Corid worked for you were the sulfa drugs did not. I have experienced cases where neither Corid nor the sulfa drugs have worked, simply because the coccidia in my area built resistance to both drugs.

In my struggle to resolve this problem, I picked up another gem of information, which I learned from a country vet, that will knock out coccidia better than either of the standard remedies. It is a drug called Marquis (ponazuril) which, while actually labeled for horses to treat Myeloencephalitis (EPM), will totally get rid of coccidiosis in pups, where the standard remedies fail. (For dosing, assuming a 75mg/ml suspension of Marquis, you administer 0.2 ml/lb, orally, once daily, for 3-7 consecutive days.)

Hope this helps someone,

Jack

PS: Thank you for the reference link, Beagler29431. (Just to let folks know, I am working on a Sporting Dog Database right now, which should be available in about a year, but meanwhile the new link to my "The Dog Owner's Little Black Book" is here.)

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Thanks Jack for the reply,I am for sure going to have some PONAZURIL on hand.I was at a loss as to what to do.My vet and several other vets kept telling me to use Alabon I told them it wasn't working and they just said keep giveing it and it will.I have had what I now consider minor cases of it in the past about 5 yrs. ago and it cleared up pretty easy with Alabon.Not this time.I was second guessing myself and standing around watching two perfectly healthy pups starve to death in their owne skins.Thanks to this board I got some info. on another option.The fish sulfa and zole was another route but I couldn't find them quick enough.Thank you to everyone that helped,if you ever have this show up hit it hard and fast.Haveing a pup waste away and feeling helpless to stop it is something I never intend to go thru again.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

pilotknob,
As I stated earlier I use the corid as a preventive for my pups as soon as they start eating, around 3--4 weeks, and have not had any problems.

High Rock Beagles

Post by High Rock Beagles »

Steam is the only thing that kills it. Ammonia does better than bleach. Best to control and cure the bitch who transmit's it to her pups. Give 1.5cc straught up from orally once pups are born 7 days n a row. pen much be cleaned daily with ammonia better to use steam. 1/2 a tablet of fishzole forte for 5 days if they show any signs of it.
If they can't find one then they can't run one!!!!!!!! High Rock Beagles! Home of the Weir Creeks!