poop

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

vance

poop

Post by vance »

what are some of the reasons a dogs poop will not firm up. I feed Pedigree and all of the other dogs look good. I have wormed them all using safeguaurd every other month,ivomec once a month and adams no mo tape every now and then. I have even wormed her an extra time or two. could this be the problem. Her poop does show some blood not all the time but maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Thanks

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Blood 2-3 times/week sounds like something's going on besides the type of dog food. I'd visit the vet.

In terms of dog foods - this is going to sound like an ad, but...my wife and I have tried a variety of dog foods, but Eukanuba seems to be far superior to the rest when it comes to firm stools. We hate paying for it, but we think it's worth it.

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

is the dog straining to poop?...this happened to my little male....vet gave me asome pet vitamins....he said that sometimes it is a vitamin defficiency...i think he said vitamin k??well anyways..after a few days...dog was fine...wow.....the best doctors in the world have got to be veternarians...because they cannot ask their patient how they are feeling...they just know......

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Not sure about spelling,but it sounds like Giardia to me.Fort Dodge makes a vaccine but you should take a sample and the dog to your vet to be checked.

cooper

Post by cooper »

Vance I had one dog in my kennel that sounds like yours, I tried different dog foods and found Diamond dog food was the only one that made her stool hard and no blood at all. I didn't try the more expensive brands but I bet they would also solve your problem. Tom Gross

snowshoehareguide

sounds like could be coccidiosis

Post by snowshoehareguide »

i used to see this same problem . i think its coccidiosis. im not sure but when i went to worming dogs with safeguard this problem seemed to stop completely. ill let somebody else explain to you exactly how to dose your dogs or i can tell you what i do which is about a half an inch of paste squeezed out of a one horse sized tube. i give it three days in a row on their feed. wait three weeks and do it again. about every other time i do it 5 days in a row. i use 1/2 inch for beagles and 3/4 inch for big hounds. this has worked for me i worm them about 4 times a year which if you count second treatment is actually 8 times a year. now anytime i give medical advice im just telling what i do you do what you want . i am using horse wormer on dogs . i even buy the caulking gun sized tube and refill the small tubes which are easier to dose with best thing would be to fill a graduated syringe and weigh your dog find out exact dosage from your vet . and if you do get that info send it to me or post it here pete

vance

Post by vance »

I took her to the vet, they checked her for worms which i didnt think she would have any and she did not, but this did confirm to me that safegaurd does get all except tape worms. Hopefully she just has a sensitive stomach so I switched over to Diamond (green bag) last night to try this approach. Thanks for the replies.