very important question

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lrswts101

very important question

Post by lrswts101 »

I just purchased a puppy from a pet store and it is a purebred but my question is ... If my puppys great grandfather is its dad would that make my dog an inbred and should i have paid 700 dollars for it?

BglsRTheBest

Post by BglsRTheBest »

Let's look at this from all angles. First of all, you purchased a puppy from a pet store. Pet stores are notorious for puppy mill puppies, so avoid them at all costs. Buy from a reputable breeder in your area.

Second, your puppy is inbred. DNA material has been passed down through the lineage, so even though the dame and sire are a couple of generations apart, you are still winding up with a dog that is carrying genetic material from its own dad. Yucko.

Third, be leery of "purebred" status. I don't know enough about it, but I've read on line here that its more than just a paper saying "purebred".

Fourth, 7 hundred dollars for a pet store puppy? HMMMMM, that's outrageous. I don't know the going price for a high quality, champion line pup, but I am assuming that unless this pet store puppy can be traced to some pretty good champion dogs, I'd say you were taken advantage of.

Get your dog to a vet ASAP and have it checked for health. Mention the bloodline and see what the vet says. Contact the AKC and ask for the lineage papers on the dog. See if the pet store wasn't taking you for a ride after all. If you don't get anywhere in tracing it's lineage, perhaps you can take the issue up with the pet store?

Again, STAY AWAY from pet stores -- they are nothing but fronts for puppy mill operations.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I'll agree with staying away from pet stores, but as far as the line-breeding....I guess I'd better get rid of every hound I own. Line breeding is the only way to get consistency in traits and it's done every day - by hunters and show breeders alike. It's also the only way to weed out bad traits. Line breed and cull. Line-breeding and even inbreeding has been going on for centuries - with animals and Tennesseans (LOL! - sorry, j/k)

Post by Guest »

Bev's right about the linebreeding. And hey for $700 I'll give you the 2 first pics from my next litter :eek: :lol:

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

Sorry , wasnt logged in. The above post was from me. All kidding aside, next time you want a well bred beagle pup you should try to find some of the local hunters in your area. Chances are they know where a well bred pup is. $700 is criminal :shock: , $200 is on the high side for a well bred pup(in my opinion). You should be able to get something of very high quality for $150 or so.

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

OK Bev what you trying to say? I'm line breed not inbreed and I wasn't culled!!!LOL Sorry but $700 is to much for a puppy, but several people have told me that pet stores want $500-$600 for beagle pups and yes I have sold a couple as pets and quess what those people that bought them as pets have gave lots of feedback on how they were doing!

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS?????????

WOW!!!!!!!!!

And that was for a puppy?

Look out mama, I'm a feelin faint.......!

My personal feeling about pricing puppies is between 100-150 bucks for a well-bred, registered pup in good health. More than 150 is too much for a pup that "could" possibly turn out to be an appropriate lap dog instead of a decent hunting hound. I have seen it in in some very, very good hunting lines, one turns out an oddball (it can and does happen) and just dont make the grade as a hunting hound and lives its life as a pet for someone.

700 smackers is too much for me to pay for a FC.

Of course when you have 17 kids and the butcher comes around with a bill to collect with a dog and a double barrel shotgun, you cant pay 700 big ones for a dog (kiddin about the butcher and 17 kids, LOL).
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

$700 isn't too much for the RIGHT puppy. If you're buying from a top-notch breeder who has proven lines and done all of the health testing on the parents, etc, and produces exactly the kind of dog you like, that's not a lot of money for a lifetime of potential perfection!

But $700 from a petstore...that is almost assuredly a tremendous rip-off, but a typical price for pet stores (depends on location). No respectable breeders sell through pet stores, especially these days - just the puppy mills.

Chances are, your pet store gave you something like a 7-day health guarantee. Most genetic health problems won't rear their ugly heads until the dog is at least a year or two old, so your vet won't find those. You may also be more likely to experience behavioral problems, as pet store pups are often separated from their litters before 8-12 weeks and sometimes get a nasty, traumatic road trip to the store.

All that aside, I've seen wonderful pups from shelters, pet stores, and right off of the street, so nobody's saying anything bad about your dog. But you certainly over-paid, helped the wrong kind of breeder profit, and are more likely to have health and/or behavioral problems down the road than if you'd have done some homework. You live and you learn.

If it makes you feel any better, I was ignorant enough to buy my first beagle from a pet store. My parents had always bought from them, and I didn't know any better. I spent $400 on him, and after I did some research I found out that he came from a Missouri puppy mill. But you know what? I'd pay anything to bring him back to life. He was probably pretty worthless by pedigree/breeding standards, but he was priceless to me.

James Carman

Price for a puppy

Post by James Carman »

I read an article in one of the beagle magazines several years ago about the correct price for a beagle puppy. At the time I was selling pups for $50, he showed a good case for charging $200. He figured in the expense for stud fees, food before whelping up to weaning, water, electricity, price of the bitch and depreciation on her and other things I wouldn't even have considered. I kept track of just food and shots three years ago and found that I had $75 in each pup at weaning age of 6 weeks. If ankle biters sell for $400 Dollars here locally (southeast Missouri) why should I accept less just because I raise beagles? Marketing! Too many people charge way too little for their pups. People here will often sell registered pups for $50 or less. They just do not realize that they are giving their money away on the instalment plan. After the pet store figures in their overhead and all other expenses, their price of $700 may be justified.

I agree that one can beat the price of a pet store. Buying from a reputable breeder at his kennel will probably save you money.

As far as the pup being inbred or line bred, don't worry for a second. I have been linebreeding and inbreeding here for 30 years. My dogs still are born with 4 legs, two ears etc. and they can run the hair off a rabbit.