Need help quick!!

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rabbitridgerunner

Need help quick!!

Post by Rabbitridgerunner »

Hello All,

My bitch is currently showing signs of labor. This is her first litter and xrays show 6 puppies. Today, the 3rd is the 54th day of her gestation. Her temperature is 98 degrees and seems to be holding steady. I don't know what it was yesterday as I wasn't planning on taking it until tomorrow. She is laying on her side and panting and showing signs on nesting. She seems to be as comfortable as is possible. I called my vet but his office which is closed sent me to the emergency vet here in town. They told me that this was the first stages of labor and didn't seem to be concerned that she was at 54 days. I've tried my best to locate my regular vets phone number but it seems impossible.

Any advice guys? Any suggestions? It seems early to me.

Thanks,
Rabbitridgerunner

S.R.Patch

Re: Need help quick!!

Post by S.R.Patch »

Keep her calm and warm, they like a dark place to their selves. Watch for the contractions to start, she will act like she has to pee a number of times. There will be some hard scratching/nesting with the contractions. She's dilating as the puppies move down from the uterus horns. The cervix has to open and dilate before the puppies can come out, this can take up to 12 hrs.
Put on a pot of coffee and relax. Check her every hr or so, once the first pups is out, you know the path is open for the rest. You may see what looks like a bubble sticking out her back side, this is the puppy in the placenta bag filled with fluid, she will open it and eat the placenta, clean the puppy and chew off the cord from the puppy. It should cry and try to crawl up to her milk bar for warmth and nursing. Don't bother her more than necessary, she will be nervous trying to figure out what is happening. The only thing your doing is making sure none become stuck, be patient with her, nature has instilled most with the instinct of what to do.
Best of luck with your new puppies... :bigsmile:

Rabbitridgerunner

Thanks patch, I appreciate your help and advice. So far so good.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Any luck?

Rabbitridgerunner

Hey guys, I talked to my normal vet this morning and he wanted to see her. He didn't charge me anything either. Great vet! Anyways, no pups yet. He took her temp and it was back up to 100.2. He also did an exam and found that her cervics was halfway open but no pup in the birth canal. He feels like it should be pretty soon. Thanks for all your help. I guess I'm a little nervous since this is her first litter. Also counted back and found that today is her 56th day of gestation so I feel better about that as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Drew

Rabbitridgerunner

All pups here and doing well, 4 females and 2 males. With one lemon and white thrown in for good measure. Thanks everyone!