Salivary Gland

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BB Beagles

Salivary Gland

Post by BB Beagles »

Got a 7 yr.old beagle that ruptured his salivary gland. It looks like his lymp nodes were swollen or he had a large abscess on his throat. Vet said it would not affect his performance nor does it cause pain, but he would always have a knot their. Surgery could be done but it runs 15-1800$. Just wondering if anybody has ever had this happen to a hound?
BONE BOX BEAGLES

wireman252

Re: Salivary Gland

Post by wireman252 »

I had one , that after doing some reading on the internet, I thought was the same thing. He had a great big lump about the size of a softball under his chin down to his throat. Took him to the vet and they had seen it many times before with hounds. She simply lanced it open and squeezed out the puss and left it open to drain. Dog was fine in a few days.
The vet figured he picked up a stick or thorn either through the skin , or under the tongue.

MaineDogs

Re: Salivary Gland

Post by MaineDogs »

I had the same thing happen to a young male i had. This is different than an abscess like wire man is talking about. i had a vet look at my dog a few different times with in a 12-14 month time frame. the bump was soft and loose like a balloon full of water. you could squeeze it and cause the dog no pain. within the bump i could feel what felt like the gland that was plugged. I would try to massage and squeeze the glad a few times a day for a few weeks with no luck.

This all started after him and his litter mate got in a fight around 8 months old over food. The vet stuck a needle in it and tried pulling out puss to see if it was an abscess. no puss was present and she told me it was a pinched salivary gland, and told me the same thing your vet told you. A couple times a year it would swell up but remain soft unlike an abscess. After a week or two it would go back to a "normal" soft jelly ball.

here is a pic of what is looked like on a normal day.