OK, what the heck is this?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FlyinSoLow

OK, what the heck is this?

Post by FlyinSoLow »

This is my beagle's back leg. There is a large spot on it that looks raw and looks to me to be a perfect circle...

I plan to call the vet tomorrow to get her in but until then does anyone know?

She lives inside but does go outside in a 10 x 10 kennel during days when the weather is nice.
She is also in heat (getting close to the end of her cycle)... not sure if that matters?

She is not scratching at it AT ALL. She also is still her lunatic self with no signs of fatigue, lameness, or discomfort.

I just got done treating her for lymes last month. It never ends. :mad:

Thanks!

Marissa Everett

"A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study." ~Chinese Proverb

FlyinSoLow

Re: OK, what the heck is this?

Post by FlyinSoLow »

Its about an inch and a quarter across about...
Marissa Everett

"A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study." ~Chinese Proverb

windsplitters

Post by windsplitters »

Looks like a hotspot

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Looks like a hot spot to me as well. Put some blue lotion on it and it'll be gone in a week or so.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

FlyinSoLow

Post by FlyinSoLow »

Thanks!

I'm calling the vet anyway because she needs to be rechecked for lymes... But at least now I have something to go off of.

I was thinking ringworm which freaked me out because we have three dogs. All in the house. I don't want to deal with that.
Marissa Everett

FlyinSoLow

Post by FlyinSoLow »

Went to the vet... It's a hot spot.

Next time ill listen to you guys and save myself te $80. :roll:
She's on antibiotic. The cheapest part f the bill ($10 total)
They shaved her ($10)
And apparently it costs $60 just to walk in the door. Oh well... My dogs alright and for that I'm thankful.
Marissa Everett

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

get u some sulfadene it will completly be gone in a week or so. hot spots are caused by to much high amounts of protein. cut back on high protein dog food in the summer. go to a low protein food in the summer months when u are not running your dogs as much, in the winter u can go back up to a high protein food if u desire.

FlyinSoLow

Post by FlyinSoLow »

east80kennels wrote:get u some sulfadene it will completly be gone in a week or so. hot spots are caused by to much high amounts of protein. cut back on high protein dog food in the summer. go to a low protein food in the summer months when u are not running your dogs as much, in the winter u can go back up to a high protein food if u desire.

Thanks! I had no idea, I cut my dogs back more than half but they are still on performance food. Ill try switching to a regular adult dog food.
Marissa Everett

bopar8454

Post by bopar8454 »

[quote="hounddog"]Looks like a hot spot to me as well. Put some blue lotion on it and it'll be gone in a week or so.

what is blue lotion and where do you get it

TnHoss

Post by TnHoss »

Nu-Stock works wonders on hot spots.
Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces

TC

Post by TC »

TnHoss wrote:Nu-Stock works wonders on hot spots.
:nod: :nod:
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

mud

Post by mud »

I agree with nu-stock. I use it all the time.