Zirmectin Gold / Ivermectin

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jaysemien19

Zirmectin Gold / Ivermectin

Post by jaysemien19 »

I worm my dogs every first of the month using zirmectin gold. I'm curious to know if this takes care of all worms are heart worms only. I dillute my zirmectin gold with propolyne Glyco.

Bigboy kennel

Re: Zirmectin Gold / Ivermectin

Post by Bigboy kennel »

It works for all worms. I don't dilute I give 1 click per dog
Phil Walls Jr

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

It does not work for all worms, nor is it dosed in the appropriate ratios to work for dogs.

Worse, Zimectrin Gold is prohibitively expensive, considering you can buy both of its main ingredients (praziquantel and ivermectin) a lot cheaper, separately.

Ivermectin is typically dosed at 50 mcg/kg, and it must be double- or even quadruple-dosed (200 mcg/kg) to effectuate even a 91% effective rate against roundworm.

Praziquantel only gets tapeworm, and there are cheaper ways to get it than Zimectrin Gold.

Jack

Bigboy kennel

Post by Bigboy kennel »

Couple my dogs where wormy. Started using Zirmectin gold no problems since.
Phil Walls Jr

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Your dogs could have had worms before and after using zirmection gold has less of a problem but your not even close to taking care of the issue. One of the biggest problems with people trying to make up there own worming schedule or flea and tick schedule is they f*ck it all up by either over dosing and shortening the dogs life or worse killing them. Or the person under doses and allows the issue to get worse because they have used too little product to kill the problem and the problem adjust to the drug and is no longer weffected by it.

Listen to john (thelittleblackbook) he obviously knows what hes talking about, when a vet will recommend johns book to you, it must have some good correct info.

good luck worming them dogs.

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

MaineDogs wrote:Your dogs could have had worms before and after using zirmection gold has less of a problem but your not even close to taking care of the issue. One of the biggest problems with people trying to make up there own worming schedule or flea and tick schedule is they f*ck it all up by either over dosing and shortening the dogs life or worse killing them. Or the person under doses and allows the issue to get worse because they have used too little product to kill the problem and the problem adjust to the drug and is no longer weffected by it.
Listen to john (thelittleblackbook) he obviously knows what hes talking about, when a vet will recommend johns book to you, it must have some good correct info.
good luck worming them dogs.

Good post, and thank you.

Zimecterin Gold contains 1.55% ivermectin and 7.75% praziquantel. Ivermectin is typically a 1% solution and praziquantel typically comes in 34mg tablets, which are given per 10 lb of dog.

This means, you're going to have to give 5 ml of Zimecterin Gold just to get 10 lb of dog treated for tapes, which means you'll be overdosing the bejesus out of your dog on the ivermectin. Or, if you're trying to get the correct dosage of Ivermectin, you will be under-dosing the heck out of the praziquantel. Either way, your fogging up, which means you're going to be wasting your time and money.

Worse, Zimecterin Gold is prohibitively expensive, considering you can buy both of its main ingredients (praziquantel and ivermectin) a lot cheaper, separately, and then dose each one CORRECTLY, as explained in great detail in The Little Black Book.

Further, trying to use ivermectin for "everything" is problematic, seeing as its typical dose of 50 mcg/kg gets hookworm in dogs, yet it must be double-dosed to affect whipworm, and it must be quadruple-dosed to get even a 91% kill rate against roundworm. Studies have even shown that even these doses of ivermectin might not be effective in some areas where worm resistance exists. So using a better choice for roundworm is a better route, saving the ivermectin for heartworm.

The bottom line is this: if you are buying Zimecterin Gold and using it on your dogs, you don't know what you're doing.

It is far better to learn the proper drugs to use for each kind of worm, buy the appropriate drugs separately to treat each kind, save money in the process, and then get your dogs on a rotational worming schedule :cool:

Jack

Bigboy kennel

Post by Bigboy kennel »

Thinks for info.
Phil Walls Jr

retired4now740

Post by retired4now740 »

Panacure,3 to 5 days in a row skip 2-3 weeks and repeat to kill the eggs that were left. Just my $.02 works for me.
Life is too short to run UGLY DOGS