Worn pads...Any cure??

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TAS

Worn pads...Any cure??

Post by TAS »

I've got a 3 and a half year old female that untill last year her feet held up fine.Last year i took out on a hare hunt and after about 2hrs. 3 of her 4 feet were torn up pretty bad(raw) :cry: .I let her heal for 3 wks. and had a problem with them all winter long. This spring and summer i ran her 4 days a week and had no problem. Went out on another hare hunt this time she lasted for 3 days at 4 hrs a day but on the 4th day her pads were trashed. All the other dogs held up great. I've tried pad coatbut this dont seem to help,is it genetics or is there something out there that will help??

tas

RE:worn pads

Post by tas »

Well this posting has been up for awhile now and i can see this board really isnt much help at all ....Hope ya all had a good holiday!!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

tas, sorry if I neglected your topic. There was a topic similar (I brought it back to the top for you to see) and I probably assumed it was the same post. :oops:

Torn pads are a tough one to heal. Sometimes it takes weeks and months depending on the condition of the feet. If the hound isn't rested or can't be rested for that period of time, any healing is undone the next time out. I can't explain why last year she was fine and this year she's not unless there was a definite change in running terrain or hours on the ground. Some vets will perform surgery on outright torn pads.

Worn pads can definitely be genetic in that some "pink-padded" dogs seem to have more tender feet than others. Some breeders will only keep pups that have black pads as they feel it will lead to tougher feet as an adult.

There are some commercial products out there to toughen pads. Never used them so I can't vouch for their effectiveness. From everything I've heard about dogs with worn or torn pads, there is no good solution for you other than rest the hound. Hope this is of some help.

snowshoehareguide

worn pads

Post by snowshoehareguide »

dont exactly have a cure
maybe some tips that could help
hitch dog on gravel . or crushed stone. this will really toughen the bottom of pad
if you really want to work at it a friend soaks his dogs feet in boiled hemlock bark . tannic acid this wont help feet already cut up will toughen feet like a boxer soalking hands in brine. toughens between the toes where the gravel doesnt help .
if a dogs has wet areas between toes i pack them with baking soda this is more common in the spring or fall when running dogs hard after being laid up and then theyr standing around in mud. clay soil here and its either like concrete in august or froze nov-march but spring in fall nastiest stuff on earth.
like i said these arent cures i have same problem sometimes i dont think ive evr had a dog not heal in a month . a weekor two is more normal. there is a difference between dogs . some very tough feet and some not but a bad crust will get them all if they run long enough on it. and also a big difference between dogs some will run on cut feet and youd never know it . if you dont think hitching them on rough gravel will help feel their feet i bet her feet are as soft as mine . a dog tied on gravel or rock , feet will feel just like sandpaper pete

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Tas, this is an old home remedy that works but always gets laughs from some. Soak the dogs sore feet in Dill pickle juice twice a day. I usually buy a jar and get the pickles out and just put the foot in the jar. Not long, just a couple of minutes each time. It will heal quicker and come back tougher than ever. Laugh or try it, your choice and your dog!