shaking head when eating

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigjack

shaking head when eating

Post by bigjack »

I have a young gyp that shakes her head when she starts eating.What causes this, I've look in her ears they look clean as the other dogs. Any cure thanks bigjack.

sammiller03

Re: shaking head when eating

Post by sammiller03 »

i have one that does the same thing. i would also like to know.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Head shaking usually occurs from ear infections or mites irritating the inner ear. Sometimes their deep inside but usually a rusty colored wax can be seen.
I boil them out with peroxide to clean out the deep inner ear. Hold the hounds head to the side and pour in the peroxide and allow a good while for it to boil and float the wax out. Allow the hound to shake his head to clear out the peroxide and dry the ear and wipe clean. After drying, I take 3/10's ivomec and 1/2 cc of mineral oil and put half the mixture in each ear and rub it in.

Another problem could be yeast infection. If the ear seems wet/oily with a bad smell it's probably yeast. I've used Monostat (for women)on a Q-tip to coat the inner ear after cleaning with peroxide.

bennetdr

Post by bennetdr »

Are you feeding in a metal feed pan?
Dennis Bennett
Buckeye Run Kennels and Supply
Home Of
LP RCH BCH Buckeye Run Queen of Diamond (Queenie)
LP BCH Eagleton's Murl Black Bear RIP

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i use stainless steel.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

bigjack

Post by bigjack »

yes, stainless

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

My female does it out of stainless steel pan. She has been to the vet not infection or mites confuses me. She has done it since the day I bought her.
Contenderized

Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Bull_357 wrote:My female does it out of stainless steel pan. She has been to the vet not infection or mites confuses me. She has done it since the day I bought her.
She may see the reflection of her muzzle on the side of the stainless bowl (keeping in mind the position of the dog's eyes) which would act as a mirror and she moves her head thinking it's another dog. That would be the only explanation to me.

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Nah she steps back from the bowl when she does it. Just like is she was shaking her head clean or if she had an infection, but I know she has nothing.
Contenderized

bennetdr

Post by bennetdr »

I think it is the ringing of the dog food as it hits the pan. I've noticed it with my dogs also. I have a funnel that I use so I don't have to open the door and the fen going down the funnel and into the pan causes a high pitched sound. If I soak the feed in water and just dump it into their feed pan there is no issues. Just my thoughts
Dennis Bennett
Buckeye Run Kennels and Supply
Home Of
LP RCH BCH Buckeye Run Queen of Diamond (Queenie)
LP BCH Eagleton's Murl Black Bear RIP

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Did the vet check her teeth?
Infected teeth, ear issues, the glands in the neck all can make head shaking noticeable.

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Yep she had everything checked she had perfect teeth and no gland problems. It's weird as hell bc if I few her from the floor or a plastic bowl she still does it. Only thing I can figure is it randomly makes her ears pop almost like a yawn while she chews.
Contenderized

transman63

Post by transman63 »

S.R.Patch wrote:Head shaking usually occurs from ear infections or mites irritating the inner ear. Sometimes their deep inside but usually a rusty colored wax can be seen.
I boil them out with peroxide to clean out the deep inner ear. Hold the hounds head to the side and pour in the peroxide and allow a good while for it to boil and float the wax out. Allow the hound to shake his head to clear out the peroxide and dry the ear and wipe clean. After drying, I take 3/10's ivomec and 1/2 cc of mineral oil and put half the mixture in each ear and rub it in.

Another problem could be yeast infection. If the ear seems wet/oily with a bad smell it's probably yeast. I've used Monostat (for women)on a Q-tip to coat the inner ear after cleaning with peroxide.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

EAR MITES CLEAN EARS WITH PROXCIDE 3 A WK FOR 3 WKS
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE