Swollen Scrotum

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RCMs White Dogs

Swollen Scrotum

Post by RCMs White Dogs »

Has anyone ever had one of their dogs get a swollen scrotum?

He ran Hare for 3 days this last weekend and was fine. Tonight He didn't want to get out of his dog box to eat. brought him in the house and his scrotum appears swollen at least 2 or more times normal. He is walking gingerly. doesn't want to eat. first vet I talked to went right to castration. Definately don't want to go that route. anyone ever hear of this??????????

outlaw

Re: Swollen Scrotum

Post by outlaw »

had a coon hound that had his testicles get twisted this can be very serious he had to be cut. I would get him seen by vet immediately.

RCMs White Dogs

Post by RCMs White Dogs »

Update.......

Not only was his scrotum swelled but in a few hours, the swelling had spread to his penis and leg.

Turns out he was bitten by a spider that must have been in the hay I put in his box.

He has a big hole in his thigh where the necrotic tissue had to be removed.

flushing wound with iodine solution and giving pain meds and antibiotics.

He is doing so much better now.

WTV

Post by WTV »

RCM, Glad you found the problem. When I saw your post I was going to tell you I had the same thing happen while running last summer. In a matter of hours his scrotum and penis went from swollen to literally busting open while deteriorating away. This was on the best dog I have ever owned and worried me something terrible.My vet said he was most likely bitten by a brown recluse. He gave him a steroid shot, a strong antibiotic shot and some antibiotic pills. Even though I offered to keep it clean, the dog took care of that and in about 10 days was ready to roll again. It has not affected him in his running or breeding.
Good Luck! WTV