Dog Died Quickly

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Dog Died Quickly

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Last week I lost a female beagle. She would have been six. She seemed fine on Monday when I fed her at night, but Tuesday morning she was lying outside her dog house, unable to get up. By the time I got her to the vet, 20 minutes later, she was gone. I didn't have the vet look at her--probably should have. I don't know if it was a stroke or a seizure or something else. She had white saliva around her mouth when I discovered she had died.I've never seen any symptoms or problems before. I don't expect food as all my dogs eat the same stuff.

I have one of her pups that I would like to eventually breed. I may have my vet do a blood panel to see if there is anything in the genetics. How common are stokes or seizures? I have seen dogs collapse from hypoglycemia and that's scary. I don't think it was that. Do dogs succumb to hypothermia? It seems she would have gone in her house as she does every night. I just put new straw in a few days before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

allniter

Re: Dog Died Quickly

Post by allniter »

when a dog is going to died they will try and get away from their dog house or home
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I got a chance to talk to my vet. She said most rapid deaths are heart related. We weren't running so I'm not sure. Could have been genetic, but who knows.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

retired4now740

Post by retired4now740 »

Heartworms kills quick like that. A friend had the same thing happpen, dog just fine one evening and dead the next morning.
Life is too short to run UGLY DOGS

Flatlander2

Post by Flatlander2 »

Could have been something in the straw! Spider/centipede. Sorry for your loss!
CH HBCH Fertelli's Flatlander Hailey
HBCH Fertelli's Johnnie Walker
Fertelli's Pay the Piper
Fertelli's Whiskey Shootin Cooper