Looking for help

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

doan1975

Looking for help

Post by doan1975 »

I have a 4 yr old m who had a lump come up under his collar that just got bigger so I took him to the Vett the some an they cut my hound all three time to drain it an for 2. 1/2 months give him antibiotics but he still has this drainage an my Vett said he prob will always have this so if anyone who reads this might have a answer or heard of this Ty

warddog

Re: Looking for help

Post by warddog »

I don't have an answer to what is causing it but it is apparent that your vet doesn't either. There is a root cause of why a lump would keep reoccurring and it sounds like your vet is not removing the cause of the inflammation. If the vet is opening it to drain then it appears to be some kind of cyst, boil or infection and not a tumor which would not drain. Generally when the cause of the inflammation works it's way towards the outside of the body it is expelled along with the puss and other fluid that may be inside the lumpy area. If it continues to come back then what is causing it has NOT been removed and if it takes very long to expel itself it probably needs to be manually removed with a little surgery.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Wardog is right, I had the same on a young dog, surgery removed the problem. End of story.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Leave off the collar for a while.

doan1975

Post by doan1975 »

Ty guys but 3 sergerys later still draning no luck yet

HBmudbug

Post by HBmudbug »

I have had that prob twice. both times it was a salavia gland. surgery is required but u need a vet that can diagnose it.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Has the dog been around porky pines? I had a Plott bear/coon hound that loved them and got quills from them every time out. When I got him from my uncle because he couldn't keep him off of porkies and had to remove quills all the time he would get a big abscess on the side of his head. I would poke it to drain it BUT it seemed to come right back. After doing that many ,many times I took him to my vet only to find out that he had a quill broken off but still stuck into the tissue that would not allow it to come out. This was right between his left eye and ear and it would fester up the size of a softball. I hope the root cause has been found and taken care of for you.