dog with small patches of hair loss on it's legs

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Brad G

dog with small patches of hair loss on it's legs

Post by Brad G »

I am asking this for a friend,he has a dog with small patches of hair loss on it's legs there look red,anyone ever seen this or have it? What can he put on it to help it?

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Tough to say without seeing the problem and the dog's behavior first-hand. Some dogs get "hot spots" (from allergies and what-not) that they chew-on, and it can cause hair-loss and redness. Is the dog chewing on it's legs? The same could happen from flea infestation. The dog may also have a fungal infection called ringworm, which can generally be treated with over-the-counter fungal medication. The ringworm can be transferred to humans too. More serious afflictions such as mange could also cause such a problem.

I'd buy some topical fungal medication like Lotrimin for starters to treat or rule-out ringworm. I'd also try to rule-out any allergies (new food? new bedding? anything new blooming around the house?). After that, I'd get a vet's opinion.