Question

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Richie Foster

Question

Post by Richie Foster »

Have 5 dogs from 6mo to 3yrs feeding all the same food have one with loose stool any ideas??
It's a female that is 9mo old. All dogs are on Victor!

OKIEDOG

Re: Question

Post by OKIEDOG »

In the summer, loose stool is common if a dog overeats. Just a thought in case kenneled together.

If not, then cut the feed back a little bit anyway=see if that helps. If it developed suddenly, likely not a problem with allergies or anything like that. Just might be getting too much. That happens during the summer too if the protein content is high. Cutting back feed, vs switching feed, usually helps.

If you start to see mucus or blood or any 'jelly' like consistency, then start treating with flagyl and/or albon. IF cutting back helps, then, I wouldn't give anything additional medicine-wise.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Steve CLK

Re: Question

Post by Steve CLK »

I was feeding Victor. It varied from the high performance to the maintenance. About three months ago I had a house dog that got sick and my wife took him to the "weekend" vet. They said that it was his back and a pinched nerve causing his issues. Then I had a 5 month old beagle pup that just quit eating and started looking bad. Took her to the vet and was diagnosed with a severe bacterial infection of the stomach (The house dog was showing the same symptoms). A friend of my sons has an 8 month old beagle pup, feeding VIctor maintenance, took him to the vet and diagnosed with a severe bacterial infection. He almost died. Chris Thompson had a pregnant female and she had quit eating and looking bad. Took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a severe bacterial infection of the stomach. This all may be incidential, but I do not think so. I had the same problem with a male in my kennel with loose stool. I switched dog foods and guess what firm stool about a week and a half later. Maybe, all of this is just my luck, but I do not think so.
Steve Lyell
CYPRESS LAKE KENNELS
SQUAWLIN' BAWLIN' HAWLIN'
Hickory, Ky