female came in heat to soon what's going on

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

steve

female came in heat to soon what's going on

Post by steve »

Doc S i have a female that had pups last may,then she came in heat 4mths later in Aug she was breed had 1 pup on Oct 4th she is in heat again on Dec 22nd how can this be is there something wrong with her I would like to keep getting pups from her but will not breed her this soon she is only 4 1/2 yrs old.Her first litter I female that came into heat 4 times by the time she was 9mths old is this a big problem or not thanks

Emery

Post by Emery »

Coming into heat early is not uncommon. I just had an accidental breeding because my female came into heat 1 month early. As a general rule, it is every six months. Of course, this rule is like every other one - it is meant to be broken. I wouldn't be overly concerned if she comes into heat before the six month period. Start keep tabs on when she comes into heat and keep a schedule of it. You may just have to keep her away from the males more often than twice a year. Gook luck & Merry Christmas.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32