Seizure

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bandit

Seizure

Post by bandit »

I have an older dog who while in the field has had 2 seizures. He foams at the mouth and cant walk. In about ten minutes its all over and hes fine. Whats going on?

high ridge joe

seizures

Post by high ridge joe »

i have a 5 yr old female that does the same thing...i hvae been given a lot of advice on the seizures...some guys told me it is a runnin fit...give them some sugar water and they will be fine...some say it has to do with diet control of feeding...but my vet says that it is most likely epilepsy. i have one male that is on phenolbarbitol now. gets one pill everyday..female will start soon as well. pills are not expensive...maybe $8.00 for a 3 month supply. i also keep plenty of water available nad keep a strict feeding schedule with them...just in case it might be a diet related issue with the female...
good luck. and take care of that hound.
joe t

bandit

Post by bandit »

Is it working?

high ridge joe

seizures

Post by high ridge joe »

yep....

warddog

Post by warddog »

Yeap, I would say it is Epilepsy. I had a female bluetick coon dog that had these fits. It blew me away the first time I saw her have one. She was treeing real hard and when I got into the tree she just rolled over on her back, foamed at the mouth and her eyes rolled back into her head like she was in a trance. She laid there about 6 or 7 minutes and got up like nothing was wrong. We now have a cocker spanial in the house and she has Epilepsy too. She has seemed to have gotten better or at least doesn't have seizures as often now that she is older and she is about 8 years old. The only time she seems to have a seizure now is when she gets really excited and at 8 years old she doesn't seem to get too excited about much of anything except the food bowl. The Phenolbarb daily will help.