Lyme disease. Will my dog recover?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RuffKutBeagles

Lyme disease. Will my dog recover?

Post by RuffKutBeagles »

I have a very nice male that will be 2 the end of January. I normally run him 3 or 4 times a week for 3 or 4 hours. The last time I ran him, he stopped baying the last half hour which is very unlike him. He's one of the better dogs that does the work and stays in the front. When we called the dogs out and put him on the coupler, he just laid down and seemed weak. I hoped he would be better the next day but he was worse. I took him to the vet & he tested positive for Lyme & negative for heart worms. He had labored breathing, his heart was beating really fast, no appetite, no energy, could barely stand up, low blood count per vet/ his gums are real pale. The vet started him on Doxy. With in a few days he seemed much better again. About a week later I took him out for about 3 hours but he got really sick again. Same thing as before but even worse. He couldn't even get up. So he has been laid up and will be for a month or so. Has anyone experienced this? I am wondering if he will ever be back to 100%? He's looking good right now. Playing, eating and acting about normal. His gums and eyes are still really white & at times he looks like he has bags around his eyes. I have given him lightly cooked liver.

S.R.Patch

Re: Lyme disease. Will my dog recover?

Post by S.R.Patch »

His pale gums means he's anemic. I don't know about recovery from lime on time needed but you do need pink gums. They have no energy without a strong nourished blood supply. I would have thought the vet would have given you a timeline on hunting him again.
Seems the recovery took more than a month tho...Keep the hound warm and well fed, winter takes a toll on a healthy hound.

RuffKutBeagles

Post by RuffKutBeagles »

Thanks S.R.Patch. The vet said his blood count is 8 numbers lower than it should be but he didn't give any advice on what to do about it. As difficult as it is, I am leaving him in the kennel for awhile. I've heard some dogs never fully recover. :(

Always happens to the best one.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Ruff all dogs are different, but saying that I had a male that contacted lyme when he was about two years old he is now over ten years of age and he is still running. The thing I noticed most is do not run the hound during hot weather and hope he will recover.