Anyone ever hear of reverse sneezing?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Big Oak Beagles

Anyone ever hear of reverse sneezing?

Post by Big Oak Beagles »

Anyone ever hear of reverse sneezing? Sounds like the dog is sucking air back through its nose and mouth at same time.Looks almost like it's having a seizure and then it stops.Vet says it's common in small breeds.(pocket beagles) 9"to11"

S.R.Patch

Re: Anyone ever hear of reverse sneezing?

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've had a few that did it, but they were regular sized beagles, nothing to do with dwarfism.
The two instances it normally would be exhibited would be when pulling on a lead strap or eating dry food in a hurry.
The flap of skin at the rear of the mouth that keeps water from going out your nose when you swallow seemed to get turned and they seemed to be trying to suck it back right again.
Usually cupping your hands round the muzzle and giving a blow or giving a palm full of water to the mouth to swallow, took care and put it right again. Easy enough to fix, but the hounds that exhibit the sneezing are often the same throughout their lives, at those odd times.

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

It is hereditary as I have a Male and Female -SAME parents/different litters- that exhibit the same thing. Hold your finger and thumb over each nostril ,stroke there necks until they swallow usually fixes it quickly

Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Very common. It has to do with the soft pallet in the back of the throat. As the dog gets older the pallet becomes tougher and it happens less often.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Know it's common in small breed house dogs .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

horsrman

Post by horsrman »

My hunting buddy's dog does this. It seems to be allergy related in her as she mostly does it in spring and summer when in certain type of weed cover. He does the nose pinching to help with it.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Yes - I have a dog that will do it if I use alot of pine or cedar chips or during hayfever season. A little benadryl helps as does lifting her rear legs gently up, then squeezing her nose from the part closest to the eyes down toward the nostrils. Be prepared, sometimes the snot bubbles that come out have gross stuff in it, but, it seems to help my female. The benadryl reduces the effect so I don't have to 'blow her nose' as often.

I know you have all kinds of images in your head now. LOL.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
MULE BRAND GEAR & APPAREL
918.633.3519 / 601.856.5169