Beagle Pain Syndrome/immune mediated-arteritis

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Richie57

Beagle Pain Syndrome/immune mediated-arteritis

Post by Richie57 »

Otherwise known as Meningitis, Immune-Mediate. Got an 8 mo. old pup fighting it right now. WBC high, neck pain, walks in circles, painful when opening mouth, listless, high fever, tail between legs, hunched over. Really unknown what triggers it but possibly bacterial infection. Hereditary (unknown). Not contagious.
Took a couple of days to figure it out. 80% chance of recovery. IT looks to be acute so a better chance to recover. If chronic lives with much pain and many other side effects. This afternoon they pumped him with steroids and will be on them for the next 5 days and then 1/2 doses for another 5 days, along with a couple of antibiotics. Vet said I probably would not see improvement til Saturday or Sunday but this evening he was running over to see me and jumping up on me when it was time to eat. A marked improvement from this a.m. Relapses can occur otherwise once in remission they can go back to trialing and hunting. I am posting this in the hopes that if you have not heard of this that it is something to be aware of. IT is not common but for what ever reason is more so in Beagles, thus Beagle Pain Syndrome. Down right painful to see him suffer with this!

Richie57

Re: Beagle Pain Syndrome/immune mediated-arteritis

Post by Richie57 »

Rooster continues to respond positively to the Steroids and antibiotics. Crapping some bright blood at times but somewhat expected taking the steroids. Up his dose of medicine to coat his tummy to 3 times a day. Today is actually running the yard and playing a bit with his brother. Can now scratch his neck too. Pain in neck is subsiding. Gaining weight again. Not as tired. Educate yourselves on this guys. Vet says they see only about 1 case of this a year.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Had a beagle that was diagnosed with this about 10 years ago. I was told it is genetic and would most likely be passed on to a high percentage of offspring if the dog was bred. I would not advise breeding your dog, but you can research it further and decide what you want to do. I saw gradually that my dog was just not right and not the dog he had been while hunting as far as stamina and recovery. It took a while for the vet to diagnose it through blood work since it is not common. My beagle was also put on steroids, antibiotics and pain medication. He had some relief for a while, then it came back bad and the frequent usage of the steroids caused other side effects. It was a hard decision, but I could not let him suffer anymore and had him put down, he was only 5 1/2 years old and an awesome dog before he became ill. Good luck to you and I hope your dog can overcome it. The loss of mine set me back a bit since I had planned on breeding him. He won and placed in LP trials and the Nationals, excellent hound that is still missed.

Richie57

Post by Richie57 »

It has been about a year now since he had his bout with it. I really took my time bringing him back. He ran in his first LP a few weeks back. Although he got pulled about 10 minutes before the trial was called he continues to show good stamina. Knock on wood he shows no ill effects from it. Sorry to hear you had to put yours down. I continue to keep a close eye on him and watch for any recurrence of it. They told me it may never show again. Using him for breeding, probably not.

Richie57

Post by Richie57 »

It has been about a year now since he had his bout with it. I really took my time bringing him back. He ran in his first LP a few weeks back. Although he got pulled about 10 minutes before the trial was called he continues to show good stamina. Knock on wood he shows no ill effects from it. Sorry to hear you had to put yours down. I continue to keep a close eye on him and watch for any recurrence of it. They told me it may never show again. Using him for breeding, probably not.