loses hunt desire . Quits in the field

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DGS

loses hunt desire . Quits in the field

Post by DGS »

I have a 7 year old bitch that starts the day off hunting and running great .
She will run one maybe two races then just quits .
She will hang around and won't even look at a rabbit that runs under her nose .

Anyone have any ideas besides wasting a load of shot on the poor old dog :(

dave404

Re: loses hunt desire . Quits in the field

Post by dave404 »

Have u had her vet chked for heart worms ? does she get tired easy ?
I have a male that started at 8 months and was my lead hound, strike dog and never ran a deer.
I was very disappointed at 6 yr old, he quit like a steer in a mudhole and wont hark to the other dogs as they go right beside him. shows no interest at all.
never found out why he quit and will always be a mystery to me

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

Had a male 4 years old ran ARHA HUNTS, Made champion, ran in the field from 8 mounths to 4 years gunned over and all, no off game. and one day at a trial he just went and smelled the flowers and never ran again, Died at 9 years old. Flowers is a true statement. :???: :???:

dave404

Post by dave404 »

les, sorry u had that to happen also. Mine that quit is 10 now and every now and then I load him up and take him along.
no change, still no interest at all. this will always be a mystery

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Beagles are prone to low blood sugar problems. Our friend's dog was close to making Field Champion and had this happen. He runs every day-the tone was muscular. Vet cleared him of parasites. But, it was like a switch just turned off and it was game-over. So, when we ran with him, we would give him a little honey when we'd see him starting to run out of gas. That would perk him up. So, seeing that it worked, we started adding a little bit (1tsp) of peanut butter with about a 1sp of honey. That is a complex protein and a complex sugar...so there's not a quick uptake then crash. That actually helped a lot! The difference was amazing. The dog is still competing but between series, he gets a little bit of a cocktail (peanut butter/honey) and then we add Dog Forte to his water (electrolyte and protein replacement). The dog runs great now and the 'fix' is relatively inexpensive!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Dang, Mr. Oakey at my Age, might fix up some of that honey/butternut, and Eat it myself, as I am turning loose, the "' Long Red Train", in the morning

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :yikes:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I would like to try that mix my self but if it worked at my age, Along with my body the way it was crushed in a work accident. I would probably SHAKE-RATTLE-AND ROLL, AND WOULD BE MY END. :( :(

TRK

Post by TRK »

I have a dog that had a problem with low blood sugar and also found it helped to give him something with sugar if running all day. I also think it helps him to keep a little more weight on him than what I used to. A friend of mine had a dog with similar problems. He took her to the vet and she tested positive for Lyme's Disease and Heart Worms. She is being treated right now, I am curious to see how it all turns out.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

hahahaha. Hey, I'm a big guy and sometimes breakfast don't last long. If you checked out my stash, peanut butter and some molasses you might find. :0) Sandy studied vet tech classes and campaigned her dog Boomer who would give 200% and won all kinds of stuff. But as he aged he lost some pep and before all the refined things we have these days, like Dog Forte, Sandy made up the Boomer Cocktail (peanut butter, chunky, and molasses). He field trialed til he was 10 years old! He passed at 15 and died running a rabbit. I wonder now if we'd had Dog Forte then how much longer he could've competed? But, in a pinch, complex sugar and protein help the body. And, attitudes when breakfast doesn't last! :0)

Thank you guys for always making me smile!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519