ear mite remedy...

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lemondog

ear mite remedy...

Post by Lemondog »

I have a 10 week old pup that seems to have a case of earmites... he was shaking his head periodically and I cleaned his ears and they was filthy... so I used some peroxide and cleaned them then put a few drops of cooking oil and later some ear mite,med in his ears... still shaking his head some... any suggestions

OKIEDOG

Re: ear mite remedy...

Post by OKIEDOG »

I know your post was in April, but, sometimes, when a dog shakes its head, the mites are either deep or there's a yeast infection deep (that's common when the dirt builds in the ear). The peroxide solution and oil you did was great. If the ear looks clean, it may be a yeast infection deep inside the ear. See if there's a smell (it will smell like really yeasty bread). If you don't smell anything, debris may still be caught in the ear. Reclean using your method and/or add a few drops of ivermectin. In our kennel, we use Ear Mite Killer with Aloe. It coats and soothes the ear (ear mites can leave scabbing deep inside the ear that itches the dog). We do sell it at OKIE DOG SUPPLY - but we use it personally and love it. We never leave for long trips without it.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Had one doing the same , lots of guppy stuff in the ear . Used all the ole timer's ticks and several items for ear mites as well . It would clear up for a few weeks but come back . Finally took her to the vet , his thoughts were food allergy . A shot of cortisone of pain & antibotics , suggested changing feed . I didn't and few weeks it was back . Went through the antibotics again , and switched feed for her only it's been bout 3 mths now and no issue's ? It's a pain to feed one dog a different feed but recon I will.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Because we love them just that much! LOL.

I read another remedy and tried it on one of my dogs having an ear problem. After cleaning out the ears, I used the Ear Mite Killer with Aloe I sell until things calmed down, then, I used a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and warm water. Put a few drop down the ears and rub it all around. It balances the pH in the ear and helps prevent issues with yeast which is often the trigger for other issues.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

allniter

Post by allniter »

if for sure it is MITES ---Drop .02 IVomec in each ear --when cleaned up --every so often drop a few drops of mineral oil in each ear --will keep them clean
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

bellmasterbeagles

Post by bellmasterbeagles »

just took my beagle to vet today with same symton it was ear infections they give antibotic and ear cleaners

Harris Hound Supply

Post by Harris Hound Supply »

Earsolve solution is the best ear medicine I have ever used, has never not worked. I use it every 2 months regardless if they show any symptoms as a preventive. Works on mites, fungus, yeast, bacteria and just cleans the ear canal good. We have it in stock and always will!

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

In college I did a antibiotic sensitivity lab culture on my chronic Springer Spaniel infected ear (not ear mites). She had been to the vet, got medicine no results. I included the vets antibiotics in my test (tetracycline). The result was Merthiolate and Mercurochrome were the absolute best and cleared up her ear in the matter of days, for the first time in years no infection.

warddog

Post by warddog »

HatterasBob, those two medicines were the go to ones in my younger years. I do not hear much about them any more but back then any cut or abrasion got the Merthiolate or Mercurochrome treatment.