Ivermectin Paste Dosage??

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Trapperpete

Ivermectin Paste Dosage??

Post by Trapperpete »

Im new to this product and was wondering what the proper dosage for a beagle? I was told a dot abot the size of a pencil eraser or small pea.Would the experts here agree with that? Im using for monthly heartworm prevention.Thanks, Pete

Steelnfur

Re: Ivermectin Paste Dosage??

Post by Steelnfur »

I was wondering the same thing, but I have the liquid that I would give to my horses and other livestock, I've heard that you have to be careful giving it
to dogs though, supposed to be hard on liver and kidneys if given too much? Not sure, how much, and if anyone has experience that they can share?

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I've never used the horse paste wormer that has ivermectin in it for heartworm treatment in my beagles.Have heard others say that they give a squirt about the size of a pea.
I have used Ivomec brand name of the injectible 1% solution of ivermectin for cattle.Make sure you only use the Ivomec NOT the Ivomec Plus. The Plus has some other stuff in it for cattle and vets. have told me not to give that to your dogs.
I use it at the rate of 1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs.In other words .20cc or 2/10cc for a 20 lb. beagle or .30cc or 3/10cc for a 30 lb beagle.
I withdraw it using the needle on the syringe then unscrew the needle and just squirt the solution in the back of their mouth.
Don't overdose ! 1cc would do a 100 lb dog. These are tenths of a cc we are talking about.It doesn't take much for the heartworm microfilerie
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

At the rate Dana quoted you it will also kill most intestinal worms. That much is not required for heart worms. They did a lab test down south to attempt to find the minimum dosage for dogs. The had 2 pens side by side, with a large cattle water trough sit in a hole cut in the fence between the pens. One side was given Ivermectin the other none. Ivermectin is nasty tasting, the dogs would shake their heads and drink water. The Ivermectin ws diluted a billion times and the control group also did not have heart worms, because they shared the water trough. That is why we can still buy it at Tractor Supply. If they had found the minimum dosage for dogs it would be available by prescription only. True story.