Pregnant dog

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

oakhill

Pregnant dog

Post by oakhill »

Okay, everybody, I need help. It is Sunday and vet is closed. Pregnant dog on her 53rd day, had started bleeding. Temp is 101.8, acts normal, eating fine, but can't feel the pups moving. Milk is starting to come down. No foul odor to the discharge. Diet is puppychow and a little deer meat in the morning and afternoon. Shots are up to date and has been wormed before pregnancy. She is 7 years old and has had pups before with no problem. Is she aborting? Have you had this happen before? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sally

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Sally, any possible chance that her due date was miscalculated? Sounds to me like she's just coming into labor. I've had bitches deliver as early as 58 days with a correct due date. The bitch I have on pups right now was due Dec 7 and she had them on Dec 3.

If all looks well (it's normal to bleed some during and after whelping) I think you can hang on a day to talk to your vet. If things turn sour, there's always the emergency vet. Good luck and let us know what happens. :crossfingers:

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

no chance of miscalculation. I have had pups as early as 56 days, but never this early. Watching her close. Waiting to see what happens. either pups, fever, stops eating. Only time will tell i guess. Thanks Bev.
Sally