Night running

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mdc1121

Night running

Post by Mdc1121 »

I have a 10 mo old bitch that will not run at night as soon as it gets dark she will come find me and won't leave don't matter if my other dogs are running or not

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Night running

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Don't know what to tell you about that.I've run at night for 50 years and never has that problem with a hound.
Just be glad she's not a coon hound ! LOL.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

You Got that Right, D.R. Say that "Spit" pup is one heck of a Joy for me, never seen the likes of that Pup, he never meet a stranger.
Thanks again for the little fellow, and the way he is going will be running some Ga. Cotton tails and Swamper this up coming season.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey Daddy Rabbit
Glad you are happy with Spit and that he's a right acting pup.
Can honestly say I've never raised a shy acting pup. First off I'd say that shyness is most often an inherited trait and I don't have that in my dogs and never would breed to a male that exhibits that or comes from dogs that have exhibited it.No matter how good a rabbit dog they are !
The other contributing factor is environment. Do the pups get socialized ? My pups always get paid a lot of attention to.My grand kids come down to the kennel frequently and spend hours with them and I spend time with them every day that they are here.They get handled,they hang out in the dog lot with the grown dogs,they're used to me banging feed pans around and hosing out the kennel runs.
I'm a firm believer in giving pups exposure to as many life experiences as possible. Makes a difference.

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:

U got that right.

Folks ask me when do I start training my Pups? The day they are born, I start to picking them up and handling them,, they know before their Eyes, are open.

That little blue tick, has a home here at Rabbit Town. USA! Can't wait to he gets a few more weeks behind him,, he is already starting to keep Nose to the ground. He Moves like he an Ice Skater all over the place, and might Quick !! Has a big loud mouth for a 3.5 month old Pup.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

Aubrey Holcombe

Pup name Spitfire~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

HELLO;

Here is an Update on the blue tick "spitfire" well, his AKC name is "D.R. & D.R. Spitfire" he was in my Gun Dog Pack, this past season. Due to the Wonderful. Ga .DNR the white tail deer season open in Sept and closes Jan of the next year? Having the rain here in Ga. I :dance: been limited to a few gun hunting trips, "Spit" was on most of them. He never fail to run every race and did not run anything but rabbits, and we have lost of trash here in NE.Ga..

The pup was as joy, to have with us on theses Road trips, I don't like to see how many rabbit we can get, just enjoy the races. Funny thing when my hunting partner shot a rabbit for the pack a few days ago,, he didn't care a thing about the dead rabbit, he keep looking for another live one?

Mr. Dana Robinson (D.R.) thanks for the B.T. he has been a lots of fun, and he been checking some of these females , around out ! Fellow brought a mighty good looking B.T.female here a few weeks ago for me to get started, that pup, see her and has been all dreamy eyed ever sense?

To be continued.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello;

Been over a year and I been mighty busy, forgot to mention anything about the one and only Blue Tick, That i call "Spit" well he has turned out far better as a stud, he get a big litter of some real good Gun Dogs ! His first litter was 8 PUPS !! four FEMALES AND FOUR MALES, THESE PUPS STARTED IN MY PEN AT 4 MONTHS AND LOTS OF MY GUN HUNTING FRIENDS WANT ONE SO I JUST KEPT ONE,

Every one that got a pup now wants another so, looks like my Shady Grove, Gun dog is living up to Mr, Dana's expectations thanks again for the pup!!\

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Daddy Rabbit
It brings me a lot of joy and satisfaction to hear you are so pleased with that Spit dog.
I've gotten good reports on his litter mates that are scattered around the country. Bob Ferranti in N.H. and his son Ryan in Vt. are very pleased with their two females. James Best in N.C. likes his female. Chris Browning in W.V. says his female is " probably the best I've ever had". He called wanting some suggestions as to males that would be a good cross with her. Kenny Gray down on the Ga. / Fla. line has bred Spit's brother to one of his females and gotten a nice litter. Jordan Nugent in Va. brags on the two males he's got from the cross. Josh Stofer who owns the sire to these young dogs says his" stud fee pup" Shazam looks real good running with his daddy F.C. Bone Box Blue Spook.

Aubrey Holcombe

Boss Man (D. R.) :

Hello, good to hear from you, up there in Tenn. Spit continues to get some mighty fine Gun Dog pups, and I have. breed some of his pups, to a few good Gun Dogs, here in my Kennels and so far just got one litter that "Spit" is Granddaddy of. these pups are lot smaller than "Spit"' but have that same Drive and Had Down, running style !

Been mighty hot here in N.E.Ga.but getting lots of rain and so I keep the training pens very active with pups, starting every day have to get them our of that heat, mid day, they have so much drive they want to continue to run in the Heat,, Not Good on them, to my way of thinking ??

Did you breed your female to the Fld. Ch. hound that you was telling me about ?

Stay Cool and have a pleasant 4th. of July .

Yours In sports,
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Daddy Rabbit
He wasn't a Field Champion. Just a good gundog that goes back to some of my breeding, owned by my good friend Peter Burns of Puckett Creek Beagles.
Queen was in her 12'th day and both dogs were very willing and had a good tie. Bandit is 6 years old and had never bred before. It was a one shot breeding so who knows what happened that she didn't take?
Try again in the Fall I guess.

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:
Man. what a year it has been here at my place, seems that my females was never going to come in Heat, and I have a waiting list, seems all my old customers want's some more pups. Good Thing but females has to get on the ball.

Well finally they all come in at same time, and first Ol Jazz had ten (10) !! Two weeks later "Casey" came in and I breed her to a young male that I call "Mr. wiggles" Yep, another litter of Ten (10) funny thing "Casey" is a lemon/white hound, and all these pups everyone is Chocolate just like their Sir!!

So now I have a full time job,, gotta run check on then .

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey Daddy Rabbit
Is Spit the daddy to Jazz' 10 pups?
Hope your females can raise all those pups for you. That's a bunch but I know you've been there before.
Good luck and will give you a call soon.

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:
well I have this female that I WANTED TO BREED TO SPIT !! She is a mighty good Gun Dog. lots of hunt and big loud mouth for a female. She has been breed three times,,different male and always have some good gun dogs!! Well I put her in with Old spit and she would not let him get anywhere near her?

So did not get any Spit pups this time?

Hope all is well up your way.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:
well I have this female that I WANTED TO BREED TO SPIT !! She is a mighty good Gun Dog. lots of hunt and big loud mouth for a female. She has been breed three times,,different male and always have some good gun dogs!! Well I put her in with Old spit and she would not let him get anywhere near her?

So did not get any Spit pups this time?

Hope all is well up your way.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>