Breeding to improve conformation

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

youngpup

Breeding to improve conformation

Post by youngpup »

I'm trying to begin breeding a couple of my hard hunting females. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has had any sucess in breeding show line with field lines to improve the conformation of the offspring? My goal is to have pups that not only excel in the field but in conformation and intelligence. Please let me know if you have any input on this discussion.
Watsons Black Walnut Kennel
Mallie, Kentucky

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Breeding to improve conformation

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

From what I understand the Indian Hills hounds have some show breeding behind them.You could talk to R.B. Sester there in Ky. in that regard.
The McVays in Ohio have always talked about having the "complete" dog with their beagles.I don't know it for a fact but after seeing some of their beagles it wouldn't surprise me to find their was some show stock in their back ground.
If you can get your hands on a copy of"Breeding A Strain Of Better Beagles" by Tom and Velta Dornin they talk in detail about using show stock in developing their Little Ireland strain of hunting beagles.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch